Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

235 Excavator Engine locked

Dewone2 · 2023-04-22 21:40

We were in the process of tracking a 235 with 3306 Cat. The fuel injector pump isn’t timed right but we had an electric fuel pump to push fuel and it ran but at low power and lots of smoke on startup. The engine died and when I went to restart the starter would engage but it would not budge the crank. When the engine died the tracks were engaged but as soon as it died the controls were put into neutral. I removed the starter and tried to turn the crank but cannot move it. The cam shaft will move but not the crank . I’m curious to know if the track drives have the engine locked and it there a way to check if there is a pressure trap causing the drive to still be engaged. It has ran and tracked good up up until this point. Any help Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1Simon C2023-04-22 21:58

    If you pull out the injectors and the engine still dont turn over by hand slowly, then something is seized inside of engine, or pump drive is locked up. I seen a packer before that would crank forward and when you let off it would crank back one turn. You could loosen off the hoses coming off the pump if you think it is in the hydraulics. Wonder if you are hydro locked on one engine cylinder. Try something till you find out. Simon C

  2. #2Dewone22023-04-23 00:53

    I pulled the injectors and tried to turn it over but no luck with that. I’ll try the hoses on the pump to see if that’s it. Thanks

  3. #3OzDozer2023-04-23 03:28

    If the fuel injection isn't timed right, it's entirely possible you've melted a piston, and it's grabbed in the bore.

  4. #4Simon C2023-04-23 10:24

    If the fuel injection isn't timed right, it's entirely possible you've melted a piston, and it's grabbed in the bore. The true measure of a mans character, is how he treats those who can do nothing for him. As OzDozer said, you might have a melted piston. I remember a 3306 that a guy I knew went to check out that had seized 2 times on start up only to find that the crank to gear train timing was done wrong. He re-did the timing and the rest was history. That was a bit of someone elses error that I learned from. Simon C

  5. #5Dewone22023-05-04 19:29

    Thanks

  6. #6willie592023-05-04 21:09

    Just curious, how did you determine that?