Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

24V battery charger

watglen ยท 2020-01-03 18:06

Hey all, I'm looking for recommendations for a 24V battery charger/booster. Something I can use around the shop to maintain and boost 24V heavy equipment. Any favorites out there?

Replies7
  1. #1heymccall2020-01-03 18:30

    For jump-n-carry, this one can't be beat. Now have one on each jobsite, and one in the lowboy. One is 5 years old, and I finally put a battery in it. Only, and I mean only, drawback is when DC charging, it has no regulation (can't leave it cigarette lighter charge 24/7). Plugged into AC will allow it to maintain (float). They don't like being dropped 6 feet into gravel, but they'll still work As for shop charger, never had a 24v one.

  2. #2John C.2020-01-03 18:37

    I'm with heymcal on this tool. I bought four of them for the Cat dealer when I was there. I carried one in my truck and then bought one for the used equipment yard. When the service people saw them work, they wanted one for their shops. I almost never charged the one I had. You jump a machine and let it run for a bit and it was ready for the next one. The LEDs will tell you when it needs a charge. It will jump start D11s all day long. I've only had one time it wouldn't jump a machine and that was because the machines batteries were shorted internally. They are available through Napa here for about $500. It sounds like a lot but 2 4D batteries are more and then you have to drag them around with long cables to reach and then worry that someone has the cables hooked up right when jumping different voltage machines.

  3. #3Nige2020-01-03 18:46

    The one in HMC's photo is the same one we use. "It does what it says on the tin"

  4. #4Truck Shop2020-01-03 18:51

    We have one we use around the shop, very handy on refrigerated trailers.

  5. #5GregsHD2020-01-03 19:41

    I have a wheeled 6/12/24v charger, Associated model 6006, had it for 5 or 6 years it's been good to me. I really need to get one of those booster packs, could have used one yesterday....

  6. #6watglen2020-01-03 22:28

    Ordered the 6006 model. Thanks for the input. I will save the booster pac for later. Thanks for your input. It never hurts to get a second opinion on these things...

  7. #7tbone14712020-01-05 08:02

    We have been using those 1224 jump packs. Have had a few go back under warranty. Not charging. Also have had several issues with them not delivering enough amps to start machines when fully charged. Unfortunately havent found anything better. But when we get ones that work they are great. Ironically haven't had one last more than 2 years. We tend to be pretty hard on the batteries in them.