New to forums so may have been asked before but anyone have any experience with 24v booster packs, you can get 12v/24v switchable as well, I have an excavator, loader and a dump truck so was looking for something that would be beneficial for all three or are they a waste of money. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking a 12v/24v switchable as dump truck is just a parallel 12v system. Thanks, Kyle
Just got one in December and have used it for both 12 and 24 volt systems and very happy with it.
You get what you pay for with booster packs. Cheap won't last or start anything big. I have the Sealey 12/24v pack below. A very good bit of kit. Easily started my 14t Volvo excavator when the batteries were absolutely dead. RoadStart® Emergency Power Pack 12/24V 4400 Peak Amps DEKRA Approved PBI4424S Sealey
I am of the opinion that for three pieces of equipment booster packs are a waste of dollars that could be spent on good batterys The booster packs need to be kept charged and they are a battery themselves and likely to be weak when you need it the most I used them every day in the auto shop and tow trucks never seen them stay strong much longer than a year but they were worth it in that job A set of 2/0 jumper cables will last forever and start anything that needs starting
I agree with what your saying, but I have a JD160 excavator only a year old and now being winter here seems if I don't use for say 6-7 weeks won't start, I can't imagine I should need new batteries yet, I am assuming it is slowly draining due to the JD link gps and such I could be wrong along with colder temps of winter. I was thinking a 12v 24v switchable as one of the dump trucks is as you say in need of a good battery. I was just thinking of something that would be useful somewhat quickly versus having to pull batteries and charge. Thanks for the post as I am concerned with the longevity of such devices.
I deal with a lot of different equipment all the time and have found mine to be a great asset. Got it from Napa for about $500 which was a ton cheaper than buying batteries and setting up a charging stand for them. I can carry the pack to any machine and it is plain amazing what it will start. The one thing is that if a big machine's batteries are completely dead the pack might not turn it fast enough to start in cold weather but if there is any charge at all left it spins the motors over like a top.
If you only use your machine every 6-7 weeks, why not invest in a battery disconnect switch. This would allow you to break contact with the draining circuit and keep your battery charge up for when you need it.
I agree. In my case it was a total waste of money. Never charged when you needed it or there wasn't enough juice in the pack to start my dozer. Usually ended up getting out the slave cables anyway.
I think this may be the route I will follow, I was just thinking the pack would be a useful option to have around, but judging by some of the reliability and longevity issues some have may not be best route. Only been an issues late fall/ winter when not used a lot. Thanks for everyone's input, greatly appreciated.
I've never had a problem with mine and its several years old. I might use mine three times a week though which might have a bearing on why it has lasted so long. Probably the longest I've had it sit idle is about a month.