Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

25 D North West

Dozerbill63 · 2013-11-26 20:30

I am going to look at a 25 D North West , it has been sitting for about 7 years , the owner started it up , Murphy Engine , he said it worked fine when it was parked . Every thing works except for the travel , it will not move on it's own . Any one have any ideas why ? I have operated other cranes , but not a North West. Your help will be appreciated .:Banghead

Replies19
  1. #1HATCHEQUIP2013-11-26 22:53

    are the swing travel frictions engaging and not slipping and are you getting it out of swing into travel as its probably not independent swing and travel

  2. #2HATCHEQUIP2013-11-27 20:50

    Do any good with the old gal

  3. #3Dozerbill632013-11-30 20:08

    Hi Hatch , I have been out of town , I haven't seen the 25 D yet , the owners son is the one that say's it won't travel . I will see the dragline Thursday or Friday . I will do my best too check her out , I may have to purchase it first . Hope there is no worn worm gears or broken teeth .

  4. #4gostr8r2013-11-30 20:44

    I haven’t run a 25D since ’74, but vaguely remember the manual travel dog is on the front of the carbody between the tracks. It’s a grab lever that you can lift up, and then push in a notch, pull out a notch or place it in the middle, depending on which way you want to go or hold. It may be in lock for both directions.

  5. #5Dozerbill632013-11-30 21:14

    25 D North West The 25 D is a 1975 year model , will it be the same as you have described . That is good news if it is locked in both directions .

  6. #6HATCHEQUIP2013-11-30 22:12

    Drag line travel dogs

  7. #7Dozerbill632013-12-01 00:55

    25 D North West Can you explain that to me Hatch !

  8. #8HATCHEQUIP2013-12-01 11:22

    I don't remember the travel dogs on a 25 as I never was around a drag that small the 25s a outfit had that I would run from time to time were being used as hook cranes on a construction yard but I new what gostr8r was talking about because the larger drags have them I shouldn't have called them dragline travel drags but that's all you see them on now days but back in the day it was also used because you could have had a cable hoe or shovel front as well as a crane boom years ago a outfit might buy one machine and several fronts for it to use in the different applications they might need it in. the travel dogs on a dragline or hoe could be locked to where you could back up but not pull yourself forward or completely locked for both directions and a shovel would be locked so it couldn't be pushed backwards but could still travel forward these were a positive steel to steel dog not the brakes as the brakes could slip. travel dogs are kinda like your socket ratchet you could engage them for the directions you didn't want to go

  9. #9Dozerbill632013-12-01 19:38

    Thanks Hatch , I understand now , that does make since . I appreciate you and gostr8r information .

  10. #10Dozerbill632013-12-05 10:54

    I was suppose to look at the 25 D North West today , called the owner and he said a guy from TN. picked it up yesterday , now I am in search of another small dragline close to Repton AL, any one know of on for sale with in 4 - 500 mile radius .

  11. #11HATCHEQUIP2013-12-05 14:33

    give me a call look on www.hatchettcranes.com for # or clickon link at bottem

  12. #12Dozerbill632013-12-06 19:44

    Hi Hatch , love that 108 Link Belt , spent several hours day and night for Carlisle . I am in search of a Three - Five thousand dollar machine , there is one in AR. I am retired and don't have a lot of work for one . The ponds here in AL. are all drying up . I have been asked to clean them out with my 450 Case crawler loader . I still love to operate the cable cranes .

  13. #13GabbyVice272013-12-07 13:11

    Dozer bill63 call port city tractor in mobile ask for mr larry , he has a little 22b B-E that u could probably pick up for 5 or 6 , Its been sitting for a while but the machine it not a p.o.s. its gonna need a little work but it would make a nice little rig , the boom is not in it but its there and he has buckets galore, I went and looked at it in march or april, I fired the 4-71 up and messed with it a little but I wound up finding a 405c koehring ,a little bigger and air controlled, but the 22-b was the Cadillac of small draglines, hope this helps, good luck

  14. #14HATCHEQUIP2013-12-07 15:43

    D63 Ill keep my eyes open for one we have a 435 koehring but it would be to big for you I think, its old and ugly but does the job we use it around the farm on our ponds

  15. #15HATCHEQUIP2013-12-07 15:47

    Another sad thing that's making the older crane drags harder to come by is that their getting cut for scrap because a lot of the time their worth more that way

  16. #16kshansen2013-12-07 16:19

    Some what of a high-jack of the thread, sorry! I can't help with advice here, have had very little experience with cranes. Company used to have several old Northwests when I started there in the late 60's used mainly for drop ball work in stone quarries. I do have a tool or two that I was told were used remove Murphy injectors, one is a Tee handled tool with about 3/4 inch spline drive on the end. Guy who gave them to me was a Northwest and Murphy mechanic from the 1950's till sometime in the 1990's when he passed away. His son works for the same company as I do. Last Northwest I touched was I believe a Model 6, had a big Cat six with a pony motor. We had to get it running to move to auction. I had little trouble getting it to run but we could not figure out how to get it to move. Boss called up Norm and he came out to have a look. He climbed around on it tapping and pulling on things then told me to reach down in the middle of the mechanism and hold onto some thing or pry on it while he worked the controls with the engine running. Not something I would do for most guys but this is one guy I had lots of faith in. Guy with about 50 years working on these things and still had all his fingers! A few minutes later we were moving and steering right and left like new. Problem was more or less just some rusty bands or such from sitting for a few years. Last time I saw him he was laid out in a casket with a 2 inch wrench in his hands, looked like he had a big job to take care of where he was heading!:notworthy

  17. #17Dozerbill632013-12-07 19:58

    small dragline Hi Gabby27 , yes I talked to Larry , looked at that 22-B ,Larry was not too interested in selling it to me , like I was twisting his wrist . He said he would find me a 350 Bantam , have not heard from him . That 22 will take a little more work than I want to invest . Thanks for your information , us rusty iron handlers need to stick together .

  18. #18Dozerbill632013-12-07 20:05

    small dragline Thanks Hatch , looks like I have plenty of time unless all the ponds in Alabama fill up fast , it will take a lot of rain , water table is way low . Would like to have a 350 Bantam , 15-B , L25 something small , 1-/2 - 3/4.

  19. #19Dozerbill632013-12-07 20:09

    Kshansen , that is a very interesting story , god bless Norm , we need thousand of him now . Thanks