The E-stick cylinder on my backhoe is scored real bad inside. So I ordered a 3” bore 48” stroke prince cylinder. Figured I would just use the rod out of mine in the new cylinder since it has the right end on it and I assume my OEM cat cyl rod has better chrome and harder steel than the prince. The cyl came today and I realized it is a 2500# cyl. My machine runs 2700# hydraulics. Think it would hold up if I used it? It just slides the e stick in and out, but it will see full pressure every time I run it in and bump it till it stops moving. Any thoughts?
IMO it wouldn't make much differance at all
Yeah, that's less than 10% over. I've actually seen a 2500 used on a 4500, but they had to repack it very often. I wouldn't bet on being able to switch the rods. If the o.d. of the rods is off a few thousandths, the gland seal will not work. Chances are the piston won't fit the Cat rod, and the bore may even be different enough that the Cat piston won't fit. Also, if the length of the pistons are different and you put it in the new cylinder, it will change the stroke.