Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

259 D3 Frequent Regen

Greg Stoneburner · 2023-09-06 23:33

What are the Regen intervals you guys are seeing on your D3 series machines? I have a new to me 259D3 (460 hours) and it's been into Regen three times in the last 40 hours of run time. I can also smell a burning oil smell in the cab after it's up to temp... Hoping I'm not already burning oil somewhere and plugging the filter at low hours, glad thing is under warranty... Had a 242D that I ran for 1000+ hours, and never went into Regen once. Just contacted my cat rep and we'll see what they're willing to do/ say, but so far I have no codes, just a hunch

Replies2
  1. #1Chrisso2023-09-09 14:25

    There are so many factors and variables that determine regen frequency it’s impossible to tell if your 3 burns per 40 hours is a problem. As for the burning oil smell, first place I would look is the air intake hose just before the turbo. Any oil pooling in these pipes is a problem. Next look inside the pipe from the turbo to the intake manifold. Post pics if you find anything. Remember DPF cleaning is a standard service item and the recommended service interval is “as required”. DPF cleaning is an engine-out job. Service items are generally not covered under warranty by most manufacturers. With this in mind, things you do now can save you lots of money/disappointment later. Extended idling and low load applications are the biggest enemy here, make sure you’re not doing either.

  2. #2Chrisso2023-09-09 18:33

    You won’t get a high frequency regen code until regens become less than 30 mins apart.