Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

259d CAT drive motor speed sensor….tips please!

farmgirl ยท 2019-04-03 00:00

Had a problem with pulse width on both left and right sides. replaced the harnesses and that seems to have fixed the issue. Now I only have drive speed sensor warning left to fix. I'm told the wiring is more often the problem than the sensor. My question is...... how in the world do you get to this thing? Im thinking of raising up the front end with buxket and going in from below. My hands are smaller but still not enough grasp on things to do anything. Someone please please tell me a secret trick or something. I'm going to inspect the wiring and hopefully it stops there....but what if it's the sensor? How do I get it out.??? I've heard it's difficult. Looking for tips please. I'm so happy for these forums.... you all have really helped me tons.

Replies4
  1. #1Cmark2019-04-03 00:35

    You sometimes have to disconnect one or two hoses and maybe remove the elbows from the motor for access.

  2. #2Vetech632019-04-03 07:49

    With todays skid steers they pack a lot in a small area. To do anything inside will require removal of several things to gain access. I had a 299D last week leaking antifreeze from under the engine. Took me 4 hours to find the problem because you can only see 1/3 of the engine without removing numerous panels and hoses.

  3. #3Vetech632019-04-03 07:52

    ..........I was told I could hire an elf, yeah that was really told to me. If one was available I would have paid extremely well.

  4. #4farmgirl2019-04-03 17:30

    I got it. so much easier than i thought!!! i removed the roller frame and got access to the whole backside. Only 4 bolts to remove. Used a backhoe to raise the back and ised the bucket to raise the front. used a forklift and chain to hold the roller frame and pull. i spent more time wondering how to do it than it actually took to fix it. Made sure to extra super duper wrap my exposed wires with electrical tape. This was an experience for me but not really wanting to do it again.