Hi, Can anyone tell me how to pull the DEF/Particulate filter on a 259D? Someone told me you have to pull the engine first? Is that true? Need to do 3000 hr. service. Any help would be appreciated. I'd just look it up in the manual but I don't have one and I'm having trouble finding any examples online. Thanks!
With a serial number I could post the procedure from the book for you.
Here is the Serial Number 259D-FTL18160 Thank you for your help!
This has been discussed before, and post from people who have acutally done it seem to indicate it's six of one versus half a dozen of the other which way it's done - remove the engine or not. The thread moved on from electrics to discussing removing the DEF filter. Cat 259d ECM wiring schematic Before continuing, read what HMC posted above VERY carefully.............. The thing is, to remove the DPF, the engine has to be pulled.This line of machines is proof of the old adage of trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot. Nothing is easy to access, especially the DPF which came along a... HeavyEquipmentForums
Pull the engine. You will screw with trying to get the bolts out for two hours. Put your head down and go to work. Have the engine out in a hour.
Thank you!
Is the 3000 hrs service really necessary? Or is that a recommendation to avoid future downtime? I'm not aware that Kubota ( engine manufacturer) has that service interval.
Yes it’s necessary, not long after 3000 hrs, the computer will start insisting you perform the service. I never thought 3000 hrs was a practical amount of time to have to do so much work as this amount of hours can be accumulated in just a couple years on a high use machine. I don’t know why they didn’t use a filter that lasted the life of the engine. Maybe I’m alone here, but it seems quite burdensome for the owner.
Oh no, your not alone . . .
But... what happens if you reset the ecm, without cleaning. We do that all the time to get machines out of hard derates. ( Then repair and clean as needed, ) This 3000 hrs deal is more of a pre programmed service interval than actually needing service. The same engine and dpf in anything except a Cat does not have this service required. Correct me if I'm wrong
Not sure why Kubota needs to have the DPF filter at all, other OEM's get by without needing that. Some run SCR over 75 hp and DOC without the need for DPF. Others run DOC only without a DPF under 75 hp. Kubota built a nearly bulletproof reputation prior to Tier 4 I and F. I am not seeing any great strides since then. Seems the industry has surpassed them since the emissions got more strindent. The newest CAT machines that released are not Kubota, I doubt that the over 75 hp machines will be running Kubota either.
Don't do it. A few years ago Cat changed the service interval from 3000 hrs to "as required". See the latest version of your Operation & Maintenance Manual (SEBU9084-24). Older printed versions (say -17 or so) will still state the 3000hr DPF interval. You need to get your machine/display software updated by a dealer, which has other benefits also. I mean you can do it if you really want to be preventative, but if you're not seeing high frequency regen codes, and no performance complaints, it's not necessary. Resetting the service interval in the display is not ideal. You're basically telling the ECM the ash load in the DPF is almost zero again when it's not, which will cause problems later on, I promise you that.