I’m going to check out a cat 259d tomorrow and was wondering if there’s anything I should be looking for?... any common issues with this machine? It’s tier4. what are your guys options on tier4 stuff so far?
The only real, consistent issue I've seen with the Cat tracked skid steers is the drive hoses chaffing through where they pass through the frame. They're a pretty solid machine from what I've seen, don't really see too many emission problems. If the machine will be working in temperatures that are around freezing or slightly below you definitely want to ensure that the machine has dual CCV heaters installed. That'll save you many headaches.
Thanks, good to know. Rarely drops below freezing here.
259d, d2? D3? I know on the newer machines, they made a clamshell design that holds the hoses to keep them from rubbing. The older d2 units are a damn joke when it comes to hose management from the track motors. Mine exploded at 1,523 hours. Not leaked, not chaffed, exploded lol. Track idlers started leaking around this time too, exhaust heat shield broke loose, usually the lift pumps die around this time as well..
This might be common sense, but, dont forget to check out the hydraulic oil filter and just pour out the oil to see how much metal and brass shavings it has. Also depending on how many hours it has, it will eventually need to have the DPF Filter service, weather its replaced or cleaned and it can be a bit expensive. Hope it works out.
I was planning on replacing all fluids as well as removing DPF for cleaning. lift pump is DOA and one of the travel motor hoses is rubbed thru the steel liner where it goes into the frame. Also confirmed the head gasket(hopefully just the gasket) with a block check.