Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

262B hour meter quit

dmaxpower ยท 2009-09-15 23:24

I have a 2005 Cat 262B that I just noticed the hour meter quit on. I haven't looked at it yet. I am very good with electrical. Automotive electrical has been my trade for the last 14 years. Can anyone tell me how the hour meter is driven? I assume it is an external hour meter and not a display reading from the ECM? I understand some are switched on with oil pressure, some off the alternator? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies2
  1. #1Fred2009-09-16 04:39

    Dmax There are known issues with hour meters on these machines, contact your Dealer for info, something to do with a better design to withstand voltage spikes cheers

  2. #2dmaxpower2009-09-16 20:01

    Well the alternator is toast. I'm waiting for a rebuild shop to get a regulator for it. Cat wants over $700 Canadian for a new one. I think this might be the problem but I will know for sure on Friday.