S/N CAT0279CAKWB01063 I can run with the front lights and heater fan on, but when the rear lights are switched on the battery icon illuminates. The lights are not going dim after a period of time, so I suspect that the info panel is what is experiencing the voltage drop. Are there common areas to check on this series of machine?
Have you measured the voltage being put out by the alternator when the battery light on the dash panel is illuminated..?
Well, as most things go.... I showed up on site with a DVOM, and an handfuls of tools. At alternator stud to engine block. 12.4 @ rest, 14.4 after 10 seconds of idle, 14.4 with all lights on, 14.4 with all lights and heater on high. Operated for one hour in this way and no battery light. So, if the tools are on site the problems are resolved?
that sounds about right
Think of it as Devine intervention. You are living your life right!
The battery light is back, this time with flashing exclamation and audible alarm. I suspect over voltage, because adding electrical load and reducing RPM silences the alarm. Will replace alternator and update.
B+ leads were loose. Cleaned and tightened, no more battery icon through 6 hrs.