Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

279c2

Evansebs · 2023-02-07 00:01

Fuel shut off solenoid I replaced it but after it warms up it still won’t shutdown? Any suggestions kwb00798

Replies44
  1. #1ahart2023-02-07 14:52

    Fuel shut off solenoid on this machine is normally closed. When power is applied to the solenoid, the plunger moves up allowing fuel to flow. Power is removed when key is shut off which prevents the flow of fuel. Have you tested for power at the solenoid when it won’t shut off?

  2. #2Evansebs2023-02-07 17:06

    Im going to test it today ty also does the key need to be on when installing the new solenoid? Thanks again

  3. #3ahart2023-02-07 17:34

    I can’t see any reason it would. I typically shut off key and master switch when I work on any equipment.

  4. #4Nige2023-02-07 18:33

    Question: You say "after it warms up it still won't shut down." Will it shut down when the engine is cold.? That solenoid, along with the fuel priming pump, is powered/depowered from the fuel priming pump relay. Please check the operation of the electric fuel priming pump.

  5. #5cw4Bray2023-02-07 20:49

    It sounds like the "return fuel" line is plugged and it's burning return fuel, that's overflowing back into the engine. Let us know what you find out.

  6. #6cw4Bray2023-02-08 03:27

    If fuel is flowing from the engine into the tank, then I’m wrong and it’s not a blocked return line.

  7. #7Evansebs2023-02-08 10:10
  8. #8Evansebs2023-02-08 10:11

    Yes it does shut down when it’s cold I’ll check pump ty!

  9. #9Evansebs2023-02-08 10:15
  10. #10Evansebs2023-02-08 10:17

    Ok ill check the line i can just take line out rite ?

  11. #11Nige2023-02-08 11:29

    I sent you an electrical schematic. You may find it useful. Just thinking out loud. Can the cold start advance solenoid (#20B) in any way affect the operation of the shutoff solenoid (20A).? Say if for example the CSA solenoid was stuck in the "advance" position.?

  12. #12cw4Bray2023-02-08 13:01

    Nige may be on the right track, but I've seen blocked return fuel cause an engine to run after the kill switch is engaged. Maybe you could remove the rocker arm cover and see the return fuel flowing into the engine ? Or disconnect the return fuel line at the injector manifold and check for flow to the supply tank.

  13. #13Nige2023-02-08 13:58

    An easy way to test would be to remove the CSA solenoid completely from the fuel pump with a cold engine and observe what happens to the plunger when you turn the key on.

  14. #14ahart2023-02-08 20:40

    I’m still waiting for the results of power on the solenoid or not. Patiently of course.

  15. #15Evansebs2023-02-12 02:02
  16. #16Evansebs2023-02-12 02:11

    Hi again thanks so much so I tested my (20b) fuel shutoff solenoid and when i start its getting 14.1volts then after i warms up no power ? Also when i turn my front lights on it throws a yellow hydraulic caution symbol and my heater fuse keeps blowing. Im guessing that it all has something to do with these problems. What relay should I check and the proper way of testing them. The relay in the cab #28 is a five pronged i can only get two of the five prongs to have polarity not sure if that’s right or wrong. Also my friend put a new starter in and he might of messed something up. Thanks again

  17. #17Evansebs2023-02-12 02:13

    No power after warm up ? What do i need to check next not sure how to test relay can i use one from a different location to test?

  18. #18Evansebs2023-02-12 02:14
  19. #19Evansebs2023-02-12 02:16

    Maybe 20a is bad I replaced 20b what’s the best way to test 20b

  20. #20thepumpguysc2023-02-12 05:01

    20A is the shut off solenoid.. 20B is the cold start solenoid. remove 20A and check for debris under the plunger..

  21. #21Nige2023-02-12 12:42

    Have you been working on the correct solenoid.? By the sounds of it you haven't. As per posted above 20A is the engine shutoff solenoid, not 20B. 20B will be energized when the engine is cold to activate the Cold Start Advance (CSA) function, but when the engine warms up it will be de-energized. Try checking for voltage on 20A with the key on and also with the key off. Also follow pumpguy's suggestion of removing 20A and checking for debris under the plunger.

  22. #22Evansebs2023-02-12 18:48

    I ts weird i don’t see another solenoid on the back side?

  23. #23Evansebs2023-02-12 18:52

    I must be missing it I don’t see it I see a bolt head in the middle of the four lines going in but don’t see solenoid. Weird

  24. #24Nige2023-02-12 19:00

    Can you take a photo and upload it.?

  25. #25thepumpguysc2023-02-12 22:52

    Did u see the diagram the first page.?? Post #12..

  26. #26Evansebs2023-02-15 00:57

    Yes I will thank u

  27. #27Evansebs2023-02-22 13:34
  28. #28Evansebs2023-02-22 13:38

    Hi again for the life of me I can’t find the 20A but i did find out when i take relay out for it still runs . Im i looking in the rt spot for solenoid?

  29. #29Evansebs2023-02-22 13:39

    Yes I swear it doesn’t have one could it be anywhere else

  30. #30Nige2023-02-22 14:07

    You have an electrical schematic. Can you look all around the fuel pump (or even the entire engine bay for that matter) to find the wire numbers & colours that correspond to the run/stop solenoid.?

  31. #31thepumpguysc2023-02-22 21:37

    If u shut it off w the key, it DEFINITELY HAS a shut off solenoid.. it’s directly behind the one on top ..

  32. #32Evansebs2023-02-23 00:05

    Ok if i take the relay out and it still won’t shut off then its the solenoid rt ? It’s crazy I can’t find it I can’t look directly cause it’s so tight any suggestions? I’m sending you a video tommorow

  33. #33Evansebs2023-02-23 00:14

    Is there a wire on the top like the other one

  34. #34Nige2023-02-24 15:36

    You will have to upload it to YouTube first then link it here. You cannot upload videos direct to this forum. You could achieve the same by simply posting a couple of photos of the injection pump. The above was your original post almost 3 weeks ago. I have a couple of questions for you. How long have you had the machine.? Has it EVER shut down by turning off the key after it has been warmed up since you have owned it.?

  35. #35Nige2023-02-24 18:44

    See if you can find the wires from this. Find the wiring harness that passes right above the oil filter, it looks like a hose on the illustration below. At the end of that harness right next to the fuel injection pump should be 2 connectors somewhere close to or in the red circle. One wire from the harness is connected to the Cold Start solenoid #20B and should be coloured Yellow. You are looking for a Pink wire which is the connection for the Stop solenoid #20A.

  36. #36Evansebs2023-02-26 13:21

    Ok i will look more closely at that its so tight in that area to look . Got any tips make more accessible ? Thanks again you’re big help.

  37. #37Evansebs2023-02-26 13:23

    Does it damage anything choking the air to shut it off by taking airfilter off and putting my hand over the hole?

  38. #38Nige2023-02-26 23:13

    A mirror maybe.?

  39. #39Evansebs2023-02-27 14:46

    Ok found it just can’t get a wrench to it any paper work on how to remove it how do I remove the fuel thing so i can just pull the whole thing out and change it ?

  40. #40Nige2023-02-27 14:54

    Sorry I have no idea. Everything in those engine bays is tight for access. This needs some input from the guys who work on these things day-in, day-out.

  41. #41ahart2023-02-27 15:17

    “Fuel thing” are you talking about the injection pump? Or the solenoid?

  42. #42Evansebs2023-03-03 16:01
  43. #43Evansebs2023-03-03 16:09

    Ok thanks again for the help I had to take air filter completely out remove a fuel line and a throttle bracket to get to it and some other stupid bracket that was around it. You couldn’t even get your wrench around the dam thing .anyway tested it and couldn’t get it to work so must be dead unless im testing it wrong. Also a few othe issues is my heater is poping fuse ? What’s a good place to start it will put heat out then pop fuse in like 10 minutes fan still works. Also my float isn’t working properly the arms float but bucket wont float if im holding bucket off ground and do float should bucket drop or does it have to be on ground? thank again for any input. Evans

  44. #44Acoals2023-03-03 18:06

    The float is in the boom, not the bucket. Unless we are referring to different things?