I have a 287b with 900 hours (hard demo, breaker hours) on it, looking to unload, and upgrade to 246c i dont need track loader, just a good skid steer. Don't know if it is worth replacing tracks and bogies to sell. i dont want to put 6-9k into machine to only get 6-9 more at sale time. anyone have experience when buying or selling that a rebuild undercarrage made a difference?
I would look on Iron Planet and see what they are bringing and what they have brought. You can compare machines in like condition and see what they brought. It should help you get an idea of its as is value. I cant imagine you will come out rebuilding the undercarriage. The MTL does not resale well. Hopefully you have made your money with it.
they don't sell much better with the new tracks...i would send it to richie brothers, they can get big money for big junk!
I agree. i sent my 226b with 2000 hours, leakin from everywhere, turbo not turboing any more, i woulda sold it for 3500 bucks, it sold for 12500! I wont sell machines to friends, when were done abusing them someone thinks there gold at richie. This 287b is tore up, my guess is 10k.
all the auction hype and bidding will suck a buyer into spending more then they should have .replacing tracks and selling the machine with out getting at a min 1/2 the life out of the tracks as a pay off isnt worth your effort. If a machine as a broken track then put a used set of OEM tracks on it just to flush it .
I am in the same boat trying to decide how much money I want to invest in the machine.
Like mentioned earlier these machines really dont resale well. Its no secret that keeping these things moving takes a lot money. If you want to keep it after you fix the tracks and undercarriage it might be worth the money to go through it. However to rebuild the undercarriage just to sell it will likely not be a good use of money. Especially at an auction where you cant control at what price the machine sells. If your selling it yourself maybe rebuilding and running it until it does sell can work. CAT didnt design and build a CTL because they had nothing else to do with some R&D dollars. The MTL is finicky at best as to what type conditions it can run in without wearing out the owners checkbook. However sooner or later you have to pay up for the smooth ride and quiet operation.