Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

289c Catipiler2 Skidsteer

Macario Zamarripa · 2022-12-15 00:19

2204-3/ 2687-8/ 2688-8/ 2685-8/ 2686-8/ 1076-5/ 247l-3/ 41-4 / E876-1/ E875-3/ E875-2/ E875-1/ E360-3/ E360-/ E361-3/ E879-1. Here are some of the codes I've been receiving. The drive motor on the left-hand side went out we installed a new Drive motor and was working fine work for a couple of days and stopped working. Now the left motor stopped moving but the right one continues to move if I move the controller it will jerk a little bit forward. Also when I go to crank the machine it will crank with the key but will not start unless I put a gas rag to the intake and we'll stay on as long as I started that way. I am new to mechanical Thank you in advance. But any help would greatly be appreciated I am trying to do this on my own. I have tried looking for a serial number on this machine and cannot find one.

Replies30
  1. #1mg23612022-12-15 05:16

    Welcome to HEF Macario ! Cat guys will need a serial number of the machine.

  2. #2Macario Zamarripa2022-12-15 08:55

    Where Can I Find the Serial number i have looked everywhere

  3. #3Nige2022-12-15 11:27

    Look on the LH side of the machine in the gap between the lift arms and the machine chassis as indicated by the arrow "1". The PIN is 17 characters, the machine Serial Number is the last 8 (red rectangle) of the 17. Post a photo of the plate if it's easier for you.

  4. #4Macario Zamarripa2022-12-15 13:19

    Its not there, i have been using jmp to rder parts

  5. #5Nige2022-12-15 13:28

    Does it have a plate on the engine.? My first thought of the PIN plate is missing is that it was stolen at some time..........sorry about that. (Unless proven otherwise of course)

  6. #6Nige2022-12-15 13:31

    The document I posted on the other thread shows how to identify which ones are Active and which ones are Logged. Some of the list you posted above cannot possibly be Active with the engine stopped and the key ON. Need a list of just the Active ones ONLY for the moment.

  7. #7Macario Zamarripa2022-12-15 13:35
  8. #8Nige2022-12-15 13:47

    You don't have to buy ET and all the trimmings that are needed run it just to get your Serial Number information. It doesn't even need the dealer to do it. Simply have a local independent who has ET to swing by and hook up to it. Shouldn't take but 10 minutes or so.

  9. #9Nige2022-12-15 13:51

    Let's get started on your Events/Codes. Please measure the voltage across the battery terminals with the key OFF, key ON, and while the engine is being cranked in an attempt to start it. Post back with your results.

  10. #10Macario Zamarripa2022-12-15 13:54

    I will find the sn thank u...

  11. #11heymccall2022-12-15 14:58

    I seem to recall it being on the opposite side, mirrored from the image above.

  12. #12Nige2022-12-15 16:51

    I thought that too, but all three S/N prefixes of 289C are all shown as being on the left side. Funnily enough reading the "VIN Location" on your illustration I came across this gem.......... It might be worth looking for the stamped S/N in either of the mentioned locations.

  13. #13Macario Zamarripa2022-12-15 20:03

    yeah it not there or on engine. Yeah not there.sr.

  14. #14Macario Zamarripa2022-12-15 20:06

    You can actually tell were it used to be....

  15. #15heymccall2022-12-15 20:44

    If you can't find the tag, or the stamped on the chassis numbers, the engine serial number will get us to the machine serial number.

  16. #16Macario Zamarripa2022-12-18 19:54

    I had 12.40 off and 11.76 cranked on its a fairly new bat. Maybe like 8 months

  17. #17Macario Zamarripa2022-12-19 18:57

    12.40 off cranked it 11.76 farely new bat... about 8 month old

  18. #18Macario Zamarripa2022-12-20 12:55
  19. #19Macario Zamarripa2022-12-20 21:12

    Mr.Nige sorry for late response were able to see the last post. I am new to the fourm....

  20. #20Nige2022-12-21 11:05

    Macario, don't worry. We were all new here at one time........... Let's go back to the list of Codes you posted right at the top. As I said at the time some of those Codes are impossible to have if the engine is NOT running . So please can you tell us how exactly are you checking the Codes on your machine.?

  21. #21Macario Zamarripa2022-12-21 11:27

    well it will start if i p

  22. #22Nige2022-12-21 12:01

    Macario, you don't have to click on the "Reply" every time. Simply type your message in the white box directly below the last post then click "Post Reply".

  23. #23Macario Zamarripa2022-12-21 16:08

    Got it...

  24. #24Macario Zamarripa2022-12-21 16:12

    The way I'm checking the codes is by turning the key forward and letting the screen turn on and then what I do is hold the two buttons at the end and go through the list of codes it give me

  25. #25Nige2022-12-21 16:38

    What you are doing is getting ALL the Codes in order of date, starting at the most recent one and working backwards. The list you see does not discriminate between ACTIVE and LOGGED Codes. A LOGGED Code is an indication that it was there once but it is not there now. The illustration below should be your Monitor Panel. Please follow the instructions below and then post a list of ACTIVE Codes ONLY. (3) Scroll Up Button (4) Scroll Down Button (5) Function Select Button 1. Simultaneously press the Function Select button (5) and the Scroll Up button (3) for 3 seconds to enter Service Mode. 2. When the Monitor Panel is in Service Mode press the Function Select button (5) once. That will put you in Diagnostic Mode #1 that only lists the ACTIVE Diagnostic Codes. 3. To exit Diagnostic Mode and return to Operator Mode (Mode 0) simultaneously press the Function Select button (5) and the Scroll Up button (3) for 3 seconds. Take a note of the Codes that are displayed in Diagnostic Mode #1 and post it back here.

  26. #26Macario Zamarripa2022-12-22 21:03

    I did as it says in the last text this is what I came up with: 41-4/ 1076-5/ 2686-8/ 2685-8/ 2688-8/ 2687-8/ 2471-3/ 2476-3/ 2204-3/ 2474-3. Mr. Nige these are codes I got from that.

  27. #27Nige2022-12-23 09:47

    OK. I'm going to split these up a bit. 2476-3 & 2476-3 are the LH joystick Left/Right & Front/Rear position sensors. 2471-3 is the safety switch on the door. 1076-5 is the cooling fan control solenoid. 2686-8, 2685-8, 2688-8, 2687-8. - these all relate to the track motor speed sensors. 2204-3 is the thumbwheel roller on the RH joystick. 41-4 is for the 8v power supply yto various sensors (including all the speed sensors listed above). So based on what I see of your list I am going to suggest that you do the troubleshooting for the 41-4 first. If you find and fix that problem it should fix 2686-8, 2685-8, 2688-8, 2687-8 & 2204-3 at the same time. I hope that you have a digital multimeter because you are going to need one. Attached is the troubleshooting procedure. There is a list of sensors that you have to disconnect one by one but on the document the list is INCOMPLETE. Below is the complete list. I will also send you an electrical schematic because you are going to need it. Check your messages - the small envelope icon towards the top RH corner of the screen. LH drive motor speed sensor RH drive motor speed sensor Throttle position sensor RH joystick thumb roller - this is the missing one.

  28. #28Nige2022-12-23 09:48

    Here's the procedure for the door switch. You might as well tackle that one as well.

  29. #29Macario Zamarripa2022-12-23 11:18

    It's going to take me awhile to check all these so I'll post back as soon as I can thank you very much sir

  30. #30Nige2022-12-23 11:38

    Here’s a suggestion. In the 8v power supply troubleshooting procedure it tells you to disconnect one sensor at a time (then reconnect) to detect if the problem causing the 41-4 Code is a bad sensor. Try disconnecting all of them. If the Code disappears you have a bad sensor somewhere so start reconnecting the sensors one at a time and each time you reconnect a sensor check if the Code has reappeared. If that happens the last sensor that you connected is the bad one. Be aware that disconnecting sensors may create other Active Codes but ignore them for the time being unless they stay Active after reconnecting everything.