Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

289C Parking Brake Issue

dzlsnowman · 2019-11-03 21:35

Hello there, We've been working on a friends cat 289c skid for the better part of a week. The parking brake will not release most of the time. The switch still works as it releases hydraulics to the bucket and lift cylinders. If we shut it off and start many many times, it sometimes releases and works fine until the park is engaged again. Other times, it will work fine all day on the jobsite. After hours and hours of googling and chasing wires we are at a loss. Thought I'd check here to see if anybody has any suggestions. The dealer will be more than he wants to spend at this point. I think we found the solenoid if that's what the part is actually called but can't see a part number on it. Is there a way to just bypass the park feature for now? Anyody have a part number for these models and is that in fact what the part is called? Thanks for any and all help!!

Replies20
  1. #1Jfarris2019-11-03 22:22

    It could be the seat safety sensor going out, parking brake switch or the electrical board gets a burned out connection. I’ve had all these problems on my 277B

  2. #2GUNNER882022-09-28 06:31

    What did you find?

  3. #3Nige2022-09-28 09:10

    First thing I would suggest is to get into the electronics and see what Diagnostic Codes you have. See the attachment, you can see the Codes using the Monitor panel. NOTE: You are initially looking for Active Codes (Service Mode 1), not Logged ones. If the Codes point to the solenoid then a machine Serial Number would be a good idea to ensure the correct Part Number to source a replacement, or a troubleshooting procuedre would be available. Frequently Codes turn out to be a wiring fault not a component, the procedure will identify that.

  4. #4Lee Carney2022-12-04 07:29

    I have the same problem with my Cat289C2. Does anyone have an answer?

  5. #5Nige2022-12-04 10:24

    See the method posted above for viewing Diagnostic Codes. Get a list of whatever Codes you have and post it along with the machine Serial Number. We can take it from there.

  6. #6GUNNER882022-12-05 08:29

    The problem I had was hydraulic oil had got water in it. After draining and replacing oil. Everything worked fine.

  7. #7Lee Carney2022-12-05 10:20

    I just went to get the codes and the machine works fine now. I need to find out what is causing the problem. The active events are as follows: 2474-3 2476-3 2471-3 Logged events 1251-4 There was also another one but not sure it is related 3975338-3 3975338-2 The serial number is RTD00214. I really like the machine but i do work in very remote locations and need to feel confident it will make it back. I really appreciate all the help.

  8. #8Nige2022-12-05 13:05

    I’ll upload some other troubleshooting procedures later but meantime take a look at this thread. The one Code that is not covered on the link I would bet money relates to the joystick on the RH side. 1251-4 I’ll have to look it up. HeavyEquipmentForums

  9. #9Nige2022-12-07 11:30

    Well I would have lost my bet.......!! CID2471-3 relates to the door safety switch. If the problem comes & goes this could possibly be the issue. See attached. CID1251-4 relates to the alternator. Also attached.

  10. #10dhoffman2023-10-23 16:01

    I am having the same issue with my 289c. Is there a way to access the trouble codes without the navigation buttons? My serial number is cat 289ccjmp02959

  11. #11Nige2023-10-23 16:05

    Not with that early-version panel I'm afraid. It's going to need ET.

  12. #12Cat 289c2 RTD008572024-06-24 13:50

    Can farm the location of the brake solenoid on a cat 289C2 please I am begging you a picture would be great or a diagram

  13. #13Cat 289c2 RTD008572024-06-24 13:51

    Here is the serial number for the skid steer track loader RTD00857

  14. #14Nige2024-06-24 16:32

    Ref #7 on the attachment

  15. #15Broken Again2024-10-28 00:22

    Did you ever figure it out? I have 246C (with old version panel like pictured above), that about two weeks ago started acting up. Brakes would not release. I thought switch was going bad because if you hit a bunch of times eventually PB would release. Then yesterday it wouldn’t release, the button releases the loader controls but not the PB. I played with the L joystick while hitting button and got it release, started backing up and after going 20ft the PB activated violently and now will not release after messing with it all day. Also getting flashing warning light.

  16. #16Broken Again2024-10-28 00:25

    If the button releases the bucket and boom controls does that rule out the switch? or can it do that but still not release the PB?

  17. #17dzlsnowman2024-10-28 01:19

    I sold this machine several years ago but it ended being the left hand joystick, had to replace it.

  18. #18Nige2024-10-28 01:29

    TBH on a machine such as yours that has no onboard diagnostics the fastest thing to do is get someone to hook up Cat ET to it and produce a Product Status Report. Once you know what Diagnostic Codes it has then fixing the problem becomes relatively straightforward.

  19. #19Broken Again2024-10-28 20:00

    I don’t have the ET, debating on purchasing it. Any recommendations that are cost friendly? I pulled the switch this evening. I have continuity between 1&2 and 1&3 depending on switch position. I’m also getting the 5000ohms on either of these pairs. Looking at switch schematic I would think I’d have continuity between 2&7 since both go to ground but I don't have it no matter the switch position.

  20. #20Nige2024-10-29 04:07

    Find a local independent mechanic who has ET would be my suggestion. You now have the electrical schematic which might help you in testing the switch.