Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

299C – Broken Support Tab on Axle Assembly

DanTX ยท 2024-10-01 12:03

After pressure washing the under belly of my 299C in search on a hydraulic hose leak, I discovered that the (2) front axle assemblies (old part 304-1858, new part 454-5972) have broken angle iron support tabs. I didn't know they were broke prior to the leak since they were covered with dirt and debris . Here are my questions; Is this a common failure? How important are the tabs? Can they be welded? Are they something I need to worry about and replace with the newer versions or do I just keep moving forward? Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2024-10-01 12:24

    The Part Number update was more to do with the axle end rather than the mounting. "The improvements to the undercarriage axle assembly and mounting group increase durability and service life. The undercarriage axle spindle has been shortened by 1 mm (0.04 inch) to reduce end play. The new plate and spacer have been developed from a new harder material to increase service life and wear. The spindle has also been surface hardened to improve durability. "

  2. #2DanTX2024-10-01 12:39

    Nige, thank you for the update on the new part. Do you know if the broken mounting tab is a common failure and is something that I need to worry about in the long term? Here's a little history on the machine, bought it used in 2013 and have only put 600 hours on it. It's used for general ranch/farm work.

  3. #3Nige2024-10-01 13:20

    I'm sorry I don't. Maybe it could be related to the hammer blow caused by the side play that the update adressed by reducing it.?

  4. #4DanTX2024-10-01 13:25

    Thank you. Much appreciated. Maybe someone else has experienced this and will chime in.