Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

299D grapple bucket falling off

Jeffrey Bandel · 2023-01-13 12:39

2013 CAT0299DLGTC00836 I have a grapple bucket on my 299D. Recently it started separating from the machine. It usually does it on the drivers side (left). Are there any smoking guns I should look for?

Replies23
  1. #1Jeffrey Bandel2023-01-13 12:42

    Here are some pics from the cab.

  2. #2Jeffrey Bandel2023-01-13 12:43
  3. #3Nige2023-01-13 13:42

    I see it's a manual coupler. WAG - a bent latch/handle or a sticking latch on that side.? They like a lot of lubrication. Maybe even a worn latch. Looking more closely at the photo. Is the bottom of the bucket structure bent or is it just the angle the photo was taken from.?

  4. #4Jeffrey Bandel2023-01-13 14:21

    I am in the minority--my latches are very well lubricated. I took that picture of the left because it does look bent. There is a gap on the left side and not on the right. Also, the latches go down with only finger pressure. It makes me wonder if the spring is adjustable??

  5. #5Nige2023-01-13 14:57

    Worn dogs on the bucket where the latches engage.? The bucket structure really should't be twisted, and that gap on the left could easily be creating a problem on the other side.

  6. #6Jeffrey Bandel2023-01-13 15:00

    I'll look at the dogs. The grapple is new--maybe 60 hours on it. You think heating it up and pounding back to square is a good idea?

  7. #7Nige2023-01-13 15:32

    You could try. The question I suppose is why it went so obviously out of square in only 60 hours. Sub-standard quality or mal-operation.?

  8. #8Jeffrey Bandel2023-01-13 15:56

    I worked it pretty hard. Digging big rocks and some stumps...

  9. #9Coaldust2023-01-13 16:07

    So, you are saying, the front fell off?

  10. #10Jeffrey Bandel2023-01-13 16:08

    Yes. When back dragging.

  11. #11Tones2023-01-13 18:52
  12. #12Nige2023-01-13 18:52

    I think he is........

  13. #13Nige2023-01-13 18:53

    Damn. beaten to it by Tones .........

  14. #14Jeffrey Bandel2023-01-13 19:42

    Never seen that before. Funny.

  15. #15Coaldust2023-01-13 21:42

    We had to lighten up this thread. LMAO. Now, back to the regular programming.

  16. #16Nige2023-01-13 22:58

    You didn't get the full story though..........

  17. #17Jeffrey Bandel2023-01-14 12:44

    Got it bent back and flush

  18. #18Jeffrey Bandel2023-01-14 12:46

    Should it fit inside the recess better than this? Seems like it should go in more?

  19. #1992U 34062023-01-14 13:00

    I've seen a few cases where the weld in the top corner of the bracket interferes with the coupler seating into it properly on other skid steer attachments. Oddly enough it only ever seemed to affect Cat machines.

  20. #20Mobiltech2023-01-14 13:42

    I find it’s the operators that jerk their stick to hard and fast that prematurely eject their load...er bucket! 299 has a lot of weight and traction that makes most aftermarket attachments look fragile.

  21. #21Jeffrey Bandel2023-01-14 14:02

    It only happens when back dragging--not jerking the stick then.

  22. #22Coaldust2023-01-14 17:50

    OmG, you fellas and your sticks. Lol.

  23. #23Jeffrey Bandel2023-01-14 19:20

    After bending it back it I took it out in the dirt and played with my stick and it didn't fall off.