Hello fellow operators!! I'm in a bit of a patch right now. I can't decide between a Bobcat T870 or a 299D XHP. We currently run M series Bobcats in our op, so bringing in an 870 is nothing new and everything familiar. That's a huge plus. There was a dealership change in our area recently...and well that's a huge minus. Enter the Big Cat. I've yet to demo one. Talked to the salesguy almost two weeks ago to arrange...and have not heard from him since. So, service about on par with Bobcat. What I know about the machine I have only compared on paper to the 870, and the biggest differences I can come up with are these: The 299 weighs a little less than the 870. Steel undercarriage option, big plus over the 870. The 299 has Higher hydraulic flow than the 870 +4 gpm difference. The 299 has a back up camera. The biggest difference: the price. I was quoted $155K for the 299D xhp with land management package + steel undercarriage and the 415 cutting head. About $45K higher than the 870 Forestry with Fecon mulcher (but no steel undercarriage, get with it Bobcat). When that comes out on paper, it is obviously a substantial difference. I'm basically picking between the lesser of two evils as neither dealership has a service advantage to flock to. Already having Bobcats in the stable, I know what to expect. Not being able to test the 299 before writing that kind of check is fairly difficult to justify the difference when the two are so close on paper. :beatsme If anyone has any insight or experience and you are willing to share I am willing to listen. Stay safe! G
Maybe give your Cat dealer a call back and see if you can demo the 299, if he won't call you back just keep calling him I would definitely demo the Cat before buying it if at all possible. Are you running the SJC controls in your bobcats or hand/foot controls?
Buy a TAK 12....
It does look pretty interesting.
Yes indeed.... I hear their the cats ass ! No Pun intended !
And here I thought that was a camera back there...
Well, whoever you talked to at your Cat dealer needs his arse kicked. Call his boss. My Cat dealer Ziegler is the BEST.
:drinkup
Yeah, I hear ya. Can't force a square peg in a round hole though. SJC in the Bobcats.
Takeuchi - Even less support than the two I am choosing between.
I agree, and I did. Unfortunately, it seems to be a top-down issue. I'm not going to chase down a VP to buy a machine. Call me crazy but sales shouldn't work that way.
Is your dealer NC, or Western States?
Peterson
299XHP are at a Premium right now. Production is struggling to keep up with demand....Peterson CAT is a great outfit. I have never heard of a CAT salesman not responding to a customer...how are you attempting to make contact ? Try. Filling out the electronic Demo request on their home page, these are always responded too...
Agreed on Peterson. Heard nothing but good about them and from an ex employee!
I haven't had any dealings with Peterson, but that sure is surprising, especially this time of year.
Thank you for providing that avenue pafarmer, this all started with electronic request. Contact from Peterson in California, referred to local dealer. Started working with local rep. Local rep: here's the price, no demo. I laughed. I called back to original contact point from Peterson in CA. Assigned new sales person. Had a nice conversation with them, but tomorrow will mark two weeks (10 business days) since I have heard from the second Cat salesperson. Like I said before, I'm not going to chase them down, especially not when the tickets go into the six figures. Construction equipment at a premium? That was never mentioned by either sales person. Had it been, I would have easily referenced CAT's stock performance. You can't be in demand with a share price down 50% over the past 5 years. Furthermore, if the individual machine is in demand I would not know it, from order to delivery I was told less than 3 weeks. "Equipment at a premium," sounds more like salesperson speak to me than anything else. Looking back, it would have been nice if they said that to me, we could have parted ways there. It is truly affirming that everyone wants to help Cat sell me a machine. The reality is Cat should feel that way about selling me a machine. All of this good will from what I assume are brand owners means that your dealers have taken good care of you. I consider you all fortunate. I would have liked to join your ranks. Regardless, my experiences should also let you know that not all Cat dealers are created equal, nor are the people they hire to represent them. Your mileage may vary. If anyone wants to discuss the machine differences, that is what I am here for. If you'd like to discuss sales processes (or lack of), macro economics, or anything else we should start a different thread.
I own a dozen 299XHP and two 259D CAT machines all brand new for sake of conversation. The 299 are 2015 units, the 259 D are 2016 units... There isn't a better machine on the market today in my opinion for what you are describing as your intended need. I have owned all of the others on the market in spades ! My 299 XHP's are full land management units with steel undercarriages and Fecon heads. We clear land, lots and lots of land. They are the biggest, baddest, most dependable units I have ever owned. Parts are delivered directly too me next day. The little 259 D are also highly capable units running the AFE forestry heads. , pound for pound, dollar for dollar the CAT CTL are hard to beat IMHO....your mileage may vary as well...best of luck...
I own a 2016 299d2 xhp with the land management package 2 steel undercarriage extra oil cooler reversing fan and run an hm415b mulcher on it. The machine is a beast and runs and runs and runs. Also own a 2014 299d xhp with the land management package 1 rubber tracks no extra oil cooler no reversing fan and a fecon mulcher. Will be adding a reversing fan on it before the weather warms up. I prefer the cat hm415b mulcher over the fecon. I think the cat mulcher gives a better finished product. Service from my cat dealer is outstanding and when running a mulcher everyday that's important. Will probably be ordering another steel tracked machine in a few months, also eyeing Cats 586c site prep tractor.
The CAT mulcher is actually an FAE. It took a while before CAT got the variable pump on their version of the FAE mulcher. I think the FAE is an excellent mulcher.
Bingo ! Same exact unit.....Fecon supplies CAT.... There are a few mods you can make to the 299 XHP to get more than advertised or what most consider stock I. Terms hydro power to the head. speeds recovery times and also wears bits out quicker as well. Whatever you get for a mulching head keep it out of the rocks and it will serve you much longer in between services on the bits and running gear on the head itself...Most folks running these forestry heads would know Fecon and CAT are one in the same as common knowledge. Just an observation .... Buying direct through Fecon in volume offers the end user a much better price point than CAT could ever dream of offering on the very same head..
Fecon does not supply Cat their mulching heads. FAE is supplying Cat branded heads to Cat. Both are good mulching heads, but IMO FAE is a better head based on using both on land I help manage for QDM and feedback from former customers of mine.
Late to the thread. I ran a Cat 299XHP with a HM315 head for a week back in fall 2014 while I was evaluating where I wanted to go. I was not that impressed with the recovery time or the overall power and traction of the unit. I looked at several units but ended up with an ASV/Terex PT-110 forestry model running a Fecon HDT variable speed head. Very impressed with it and it has much better capability in every way than the Cat 299XHP. There are folks that are pretty negative on the Terex unit since they bought out ASV. Of course who owns what has changed again and ASV now owns 51% of the company again. I can tell you that so far I have been very satisfied with my PT-110 with the Fecon.
Hi all, new to the site, but may have a fresh perspective as I am the Fecon guy in the west. Any CTL is a great multipurpose tool, but they are not designed to run a mulcher of any brand all the time without shortening their lifespan considerably. For not much more money a Fecon FTX128 is a purpose built forestry mulcher with SS quick attach to run a variety of attachments and with 60 gpm and 4500 psi blows any CTL out there away. We also offer multiple rotor and tools choices to best suit your needs and terrain conditions. We do not make the Cat mulcher, FAE does and it has smaller bearings and shafts than we use, and less choices for rotors. We are also made in the USA not Italy.
Often i see a bobcat with 2000 hours on them and theyre wore out while Ive seen Cats over five thousand hours and still operating. Cats seem to last longer and seem to have better hydraulic pumps. After operating Bobcat brand machines for over twenty years and nearly ten years with cat I will never go back to Bobcat. Cat seems to offer service. Most any dealer will let you demo a machine for thirty days after youve had a credit approval. Well you have to ask they wont necessarily offer. I own a 279D and a 305.5 cr excavator. No problems in nearly three years at all. Just going to a cat garage you get a better over all professional feel than bobcat. Seems noone at Bobcat knows whats going on or what you need.
HM 415b premature wear? Hey guys, I'm new here. I've been searching the internet for any info and you guys seem to have some experience with the hm415b mulcher. I bought a 299d xhp and 415b together as a package and have about 700 hrs. on the machine. Less on the mulcher because I use other attachments as well. While changing out my first set of cutters I noticed the deflection shield (fender well) is worn paper thin and already has a 2"x4" hole worn completely through in the mid section. I have contacted CAT and am supposed to take the unit to them tomorrow. They admit it is premature wear and have seen this on another hm415b. They have agreed to cut the piece out and replace it with better steel for half of their cost, which leaves me paying $1750.00. I'll say it for you....DAMN! A major repair by the first tooth change!?!? Beside the whole argument of premature wear, have you guys heard of any similar issues? Thanks in advance for any input.