Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

299d2 screen and warning lights glitch

Nikev · 2024-03-22 20:38

Help! I have a 299d2 xhp new to me about 6 months. My advanced display screen has been going off intermittently. Now it’s off 99% of the time. Occasionally I’ll look up and it’s on. Now the 3 warning lights above the screen are on constantly, including when key is off. Key switch starts and stops machine normally, but when the battery switch is turned on the warning lights come on. They do not go off. Park brake functions normally with the switch but the light stays on. The attachment light stays on, as does the seat belt light. I have removed and cleaned 7 of the 9 listed ground points. The 2 engine grounds I didn’t do. I’ve removed the 6 fuses under the cab as well as all fuses in the cab along with each relay in the cab. At no time do the warning lights go off. Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance

Replies21
  1. #1Nikev2024-03-22 21:23

    Forgot to add serial * CATO299DVDX200902*

  2. #2Nikev2024-03-22 21:25

    Also I have tried holding down the 2 outside buttons for a reset. All that happens is after 10-15 seconds the 3 warning lights get dimmer until I release. Nothing happens on the screen

  3. #3Nige2024-03-22 21:30

    Do the engine grounds, just for completeness. You've done everything else. You're going to need an electrical schematic which is easy now you supplied a S/No. Also a photo of the panel in the upper RH corner of the cab. Let's see what we're working with here. See the photo below. First turn the battery master switch OFF. Then disconnect all the wires from the connecting stud in the red circle EXCEPT the big 4SWG Red one, then turn the battery master switch back ON and advise if the warning lights are off. You do NOT need to remove any of the three relays. I know they are out in the photo but that was a different problem. You will need the cab raised for access.

  4. #4Nige2024-03-22 21:32

    Here's an excerpt from the electrical schematic. The stud is in the black circle. The 101-C45 RD 4SWG wire is the main power feed from the battery.

  5. #5Nikev2024-03-22 22:08

    thanks Nige. Will do that in the morning. Which panel? Photo of the display with warning lights? Only thing I’ve thought of to keep lights on would be a stuck relay. I did take a pic of the display yesterday when it came on for the first time in weeks. It did stay on until key off, but wouldn’t come back.

  6. #6Nige2024-03-22 22:14

    The one in your photo. There are a few options and it's good to know which one you have.

  7. #7Nikev2024-03-22 22:19

    Ok. Appreciate the replies. Will report results tomorrow.

  8. #8Chrisso2024-03-23 00:22

    It’s a long shot but disconnect the camera on the rear door. Sometimes when faulty they can cause the advanced display to freeze up. I’m guessing you’ve checked the main earth strap between cab and machine frame?

  9. #9Nikev2024-03-23 02:08

    Camera was already removed when we got it. Ground strap was removed cleaned and reinstalled.

  10. #10Nikev2024-03-23 14:44

    Removed the one wire that was on the stud other than the large one. No warning lights now when turning battery disconnect on.

  11. #11Nige2024-03-23 15:05

    Leave it de-powered for a while. See if you can send it to sleep. I sent you a schematic. When you get it, disconnect the 12-pin connector behind the LCD instrument panel then reconnect the cab power supply at the stud in the back. Check for power between Pins 1 & 2 with the battery master switch ON and then for power between Pins 8 & 2 when you turn the key ON. A comment. if those green crusties visible on the ring terminals in your photo are any indication of the rest of the sysm you could welll have a condensation/corrosion problem somewhere. Take a good look at the 12-pin connector for the LCD display and the pins on the dsplay itself for a start......

  12. #12Nikev2024-03-23 16:22

    Pins 1 and 2 12.6 constant Nothing between 8 and 2 Switch on or off Someone has been there before as there is a probe mark on the blue wire where it enters the plug.

  13. #13Nikev2024-03-23 16:22

    Also warning lights still on with key off

  14. #14Nige2024-03-23 16:38

    You're going to have to trace that 308-YL wire back to the ignition switch and see if it gets power when the key is ON.

  15. #15Nikev2024-03-23 17:05

    I don’t see the full schematic. Just the 2 individual pages you sent.

  16. #16Nige2024-03-23 17:15

    I just double-checked and the attachment I sent is 23 pages. Try downloading it on to a PC or laptop. It's a fully-searchable pdf.

  17. #17Nikev2024-03-23 17:54

    Will do On my phone right now

  18. #18Nikev2024-03-23 22:44

    So I believe the connection point circled in red may be the screen power issue. I’m not with the machine right now but anticipate it will be near the screen as the throttle controls are on that side. 308-L65 is the concern 308-L64 comes from key switch 308-L76 is foot throttle 308-L82 is hand throttle Both throttles work so assuming they’re receiving power. Will update

  19. #19Nige2024-03-23 22:54

    That is a splice located inside the harness. Good luck finding it……

  20. #20Nikev2024-03-24 18:24

    I’ve made a small mistake. Going to start a step back. I saw the color legend saying blue wires were keyed power. Did not pay attention that meant the DIAGRAM only. I checked and chased the blue wire from the screen plug which turned out to be one of the twisted pair to the video camera. That’s what I get for assuming. So. Back to your question. Pin 8 (yellow) has keyed 12v. Warning lights still on regardless of key. Strange to me park light warning light stays on although you can turn it on and off with the switch. Unless you can help with a specific starting point I guess cleaning all the connections on the bottom/back of cab where the green crusties are would be helpful. I’ll follow directions better. Appreciate your help

  21. #21Nige2024-03-24 22:00

    Sorry, I should have mentioned to read all the notes/tables on the schematic carefully before diving in. The first of which of course is that the colour a wire is drawn on the schematic indicates its function and not necessarily the colour of the particular wire.