I am trying to buy a 2D&3D excavator. If anyone has bought one, can you tell me which make and model you chose? Also, in what applications have you been able to achieve efficiency gains?
I can speak to the 2D. My excavator was set up to receive the technology from the factory (Linkbelt 160X4), but was not equipped. I chose Trimble Earthworks. I also set up a Takeuchi 257 with the Earthworks system. It saves having a person from checking grade. 3D would be really cool, but I can't justify the price tag at this point. However the 2D was cost effective for my applications and the payback is without a doubt there. It saves time in every application where accurate excavation matters. I really like it for digging sewer lines. Set it up with a laser set to the correct slope and you can just dig. No one in the trench, much faster and safer.