Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2nd time shorter: Question 4 ALL experienced excavator professionals

jacky ยท 2014-07-28 04:17

Hello Everyone I have an excavator question: How long would you say it takes to learn: all the ins & outs; tricks; secrets of handling & maneuvering for digging & demo-ing homes? I'm going to be taking a course which is 3 months long. Will I learn everything in 3 months of pure school theory and practical training to demo a house on my own without supervision? or is it a career that it takes 20 years to become a professional finally? Thanks

Replies8
  1. #1ol' Grump2014-07-28 08:49

    It's like any profession. .go to school and learn what they can teach you. Then when you're out on your own and working you'll find all sorts of stuff that wasn't taught that you'll pick up as you go. How long does that take? I was still learning right up to the time I retired. . .

  2. #2Hitachi EX35002014-07-28 13:37

    The day that you don't learn something new, is a truly wasted day!!!

  3. #3diggindeep19872014-07-28 13:49

    I agree with the to post above, but I think you will learn the most your 1st 5yrs of being around it everyday! Just my opinion.

  4. #4CM19952014-07-28 19:13

    Agree with the comments, always learning something on the job. No a school will not teach you all you need to know in 3 months about demo but it's a good start. Demo is a different animal than cuts/fills and grading. It will help with demo if you have an understanding of how the structure is built and how the different components are attached, it's not just blow and go.

  5. #5ddigger2014-07-28 20:23

    If they teach patience, safety, trouble shooting and humility you will be well on your way. The actual skill set will come with seat time.

  6. #6clintm2014-07-28 21:33

    30yrs +still learning if you don't learn something new every day your dumber than you was when you woke up that morning because you probably uummmmm a ummm a O forgot at least one thing

  7. #7grandpa2014-07-28 21:41

    50 plus years in the business and still learning. The new rules and regulations never stop coming at you. Used to be you could hop in your machine and have at it... today, it takes many phone calls before you ever stick your bucket in the dirt.

  8. #8jacky2014-07-29 01:52

    wow, thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm a firm believer in always learning. I constantly strive to learn new things everyday, even other languages, cooking recipes, history etc. My true question is, after the school done can I get the job done on my own, or do I need to be under constant supervision for the next how many year before I am skilled enough to complete a demo on my own. Here's a good one, I just got my motorcycle road license this week after 6 days of riding school. And my instructor says I should wait 1 year before I go for my highway license. Cheers