Hello, My name is Titus and I am new to this forum so hi to you all ! I bought 2x JD 410 at scrap metal price. I don't need them right away so thought I should give it a try and repair them and if the worst happens and won't be able to resurrect, the scrap metal business will be more than happy to have them. Story: - saw the add, went to see them second backhoe: first one: - blown rear tire, most of the levers and linkages frozen solid from rust, but seemed complete and also had the nice 2 piece loader in the front second: - missing front tires, main hydraulic pump, fuel pump, starter, one cylinder broken at the front loader, rear glass missing
I''m sorry for double posting but can't attach more than 4 files/post. Made a deal and brought them home Then I started with the more complete one and did the following: - diesel in the tank - new battery cables - good battery fitted it wouldn't crank, so took the starter off and greased and defrosted it then put it back and tried again. This time it would crank but no smoke and after cracking open a pressure line to the injector, no diesel (although I did bleed the system). - took the fuel injection pump and injectors off and sent them to a shop, had them back and gave it another go. Smoked right away and even started but it knocked like hell and ran on only 2 cylinders (I guess). Shut it off and took the head off:
Lucky me, the pistons were ok so no further damage, just some small grooves where the valves hit 2 of them. Also minimum wear on the cylinders Took the head to a machine shop, and 2 weeks and some $$$ later I got it back. Seeing so much gunk in the head and block holes I took the sump off and gave it a really good clean with the pressure washer. Oil was grayish watery and lots of dirt in it, sump and oil pump pickup really dirty. Put the sump back, new gasket, fresh oil, new oil filter, head back on and had another go at starting it. It started and ran nicely so I jumped in the cabin to check the hydraulics (I had previously put fresh transmission oil in as it was very low) - nothing. No hydraulics, no steering, no drive forward or backward. Downloaded some manuals, learned a bit how the system works and went ahead to check the charge pressure at the front pump: 0 zero , no oil. - changed both hydraulic and transmission filters, checked transmission filter relief valve, checked screen, everything looked ok - took the hydraulic clutch reverser off, added some shims that were missing but no improvement. - I also tried getting it into gears and it did grind, but there was no oil coming from the transmission oil pump, no matter where I looked
My conclusion was that the transmission oil pump is not working so I split the backhoe: I think I need to get the reverser housing off (split another segment) to get to the oil pump, am I right ? Where do you think that black oil is leaking from ? engine or reverser ? What should I check while the tractor is split ? I also noted that there are similar threads to mine on this forum (similar problems) but no one seems to post the result or the solution which is sad. Thank you in advance ! I will keep you posted