I am shopping for a new 3/4" air impact gun, probably around the $500 mark. Does anyone have a recommendation for the best bang for the buck? I favor Chicago Pneumatics and IR. The Aircat seems to have great numbers at a great price, but I have to wonder if it is a throwaway. http://www.tooltopia.com/aircat-1600th.aspx I have a local tool guy who can rebuild the CP and IR since parts are available. Should I pay double the price for rebuildability? Howard
I like the IR 2145. Real light and has about as much power you're going to get ina 3/4"
Thank you...the IR 2145 has good numbers. A set of these sockets: http://aboloxtools.com/socket-tools...-4-drive-impact-shallow-socket-set-16-pieces/ and this gun should put me in good shape: http://www.tooltopia.com/ingersoll-rand-2145qimax.aspx Howard
IR2161XP is my 3/4 air impact. I also drilled out the inlet port to take 1/2 inch air right through without restriction. Awesome tool. Maybe work looking on eBay for a cheaper unit and then having it rebuilt?
I also like my IR 2145, but I too wonder about aircat?
I have an AirCat 1200???, 1/2" drive. Has been a great tool. Used and abused for several years without a drier in the air supply, just an occasional shot of oil. Took it apart a few nights ago and found no wear in the motor. Lots of torque. I intend to buy another one soon, one for shop and one for service truck.
I grabbed a fresh rebuilt IR 2145 off ebay for around $100, but new ones can be had for right at $400. It hits pretty damn hard for a 3/4 gun and light as well like the others have said. I'll buy another. Greyson
A comparable tool to the IR 2145 is the one I use, the CP7769. Pretty much the same weight, side to side fwd/rev change can be done with one hand, feathering trigger, and has 200 ft lbs more break out force. > http://www.cp.com/usen/whatsnew/searchnews/cp7769.aspx
Feathering trigger... I will say my IR is junk in the trigger department. Nice point there!
I carry an ingersoll and snap on on my truck and there's number of times I tried the ingersoll first due to conditions and it wasn't as strong as the snap on. Snap on also has a sealed cavity and no grease fittings which I was wary from the beginning but it's held up great so far.
Proto JW175WP is a beast.
I have a snap on 1/2 drive that is obsolete due to parts supply, and the trucks don't call on me, they are tired of seeing my broken snap on tool bin!
I have the 3/4" Aircat and it works well. It's not an everyday use tool for me so I have no idea on longevity. So far it has taken out everything I have hooked it to while working on semis and heavy equipment without effort. I also have the 1/2" Nitrocat I think. Powerful and light. Not as powerful as some I've used but very close. Good ergonomics.
Yup, by far outclasses the IR for power.
I have one from......HF, I believe it's called the earth quake, I know bad bad bad. BUT I have truly run this thing through the course{over 10yrs** and it has been great, I would put it up against any other 3/4" impact out there. At the time I believe it was around $80.00, it has paid me back many many times over, well worth it. I've used it on everything from cars, dump truck, small dozer, excavator, and so on, never let me down. It's not as strong as my 1'' impact but then again I never expected it to be.
I'll second the HF earthquake guns. I know allot of there stuff is junk but these guns are strong. I only use them for tough jobs as they are on the heavy side.
Buying tools from Harbor Fakes is like sleeping with an ugly girl; it might really be the only way you can afford to get what you want, and work out great, but, you're really gonna hear about it when your friends find out! Seriously, some of their stuff is real good, and some is scrap before it gets out the store. All of their air tools I have tried have been good, and their small engines are better than everything but a Honda, and if you get the right coupon, you can get a 6.5 hp for $79.99!
This is the one I bought. If you watch it on the site it can be had for under $500 http://www.tooltopia.com/ingersoll-rand-2145qimaxk.aspx
Thank you and with that we have come full circle...since we stated out discussing that gun on Tooltopia! I believe we call that consensus. Howard
I wish Ingersoll still made the 2141. I got mine used from an older tech and love that thing to death. If you can find one used they are the strongest 3/4 i've used and parts are still available for.
Well, I was in town yesterday afternoon and had a few extra minutes and popped into our local Northern Tool store, and they had their house brand 3/4" impact gun on clearance for $160...sold. I will give it a test this afternoon pulling budd type wheels off the M37. While I could have held out for the $450 IR, this made my weekly budget much happier. Howard
I bought a used CP 772H from a pawn shop, does not compare to new high torque impacts but works well and is reliable. paid $175.00 I favour CP products. 150-700 ftlbs working torque, forward? 1000ft lbs reverse, only require low cfm, 6.
not so big on pawn shops, but concerned about used air tools having excessive wear. how is it working for you?
I did some research on the PH772h before the purchase, reliable and long lasting seem to be what people say about it, I would say in my experience they are right. I used it just the other day to change a cutting edge on a 938f loader, it zipped the bolts off easy. I wouldn't buy something that I couldn't rebuild either, like a no name product.
A mistake I've seen many times over the years, is someone buying the biggest baddest impact wrench that can be had, and then running it through a 3/8" hose. If you want big power, you've got to have enough air. IR tools have served me well.
I parted out a truck in front of my shop and my 1/2" hose wouldnt reach it so i tryed the 3/4 wrench on the 3/8 hose. It wouldnt take the bolts lose i need out so i tryed my 1/2 impact and it losened them to my surprise so its a must to have a 1/2" hose with a 3/4 impact.
i just upgraded my shop to 1/2 hose and quick connects.
I like my 2145 it is lighter then some of the guns but I havnt tried a bunch. I have been buying air tools from landmesser tool very reasonably priced to what I have found and in most instances can get a socket set for free or real cheap look at their sale flier
Pretty much so. 1/2" hoses are the standard in our shop- most of them are the Flexzilla ones that are nice and light. I run whips on my smaller air tools to help with getting into tight spaces.