Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3/4 Impact sockets

Old Doug ยท 2016-04-24 10:52

To make things easyer i need to by another set they will not be used every day and i dont want to take out a loan so what is a cheaper set that has held up good for you? I want a set that starts at 3/4 and gos to 2 1/2 if i can get it.

Replies16
  1. #1JD955SC2016-04-24 12:07

    Grey Pnuematic or Sunex are both great brands to go with. Quality yet fairly affordable. http://www.amazon.com/Grey-Pneumati...031&sr=8-5&keywords=grey+pneumatic+3/4+impact

  2. #2kshansen2016-04-24 12:13

    One idea would be to go to a place like Harbor Freight and buy a set. Then if or when you find some sizes getting used a lot and wearing out or even breaking replace those with a better quality brand. I'd bet you would only have 4 or 5 that would eventually need replacing and no reason to have 8 or 10 sockets that cost $20+ each sitting around to be used once every three years. Another thought would be to make note of the ones you find you are using often and keep a look out on some place like Ebay for a good used name brand socket

  3. #3kshansen2016-04-24 12:22

    I was just looking at Grey myself, not a bad deal and has all the sizes the poster was asking about!

  4. #4John C.2016-04-24 12:24

    I've checked out pawn shops for individual sockets and been fairly successful. I haven't had to use anything over inch and half very much in the last ten years. The largest I go in three quarter drive is two and a quarter.

  5. #5Shimmy12016-04-24 12:29

    My local tool guy has these. I can't remember the brand, and they only go to 2", but the set only costs $150. He has a metric set as well, same price. I'll find out the brand tomorrow.

  6. #6catfixer2016-04-24 13:23

    I bought mine from a company called Quality Craft Tool at a farm show. Good stuff, never broken one. http://www.qualitycrafttools.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=118

  7. #7still learn'n2016-04-24 14:00

    I have bought grey pneumatic and have had two good luck with them! Landmesser tool out of Michigan has had good prices in what I have looked at Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

  8. #8StanRUS2016-04-24 14:29

    Ditto: 1st choice GP & Landmesser is a good source with cheaper pricing

  9. #9gtermini2016-04-24 15:14

    http://www.toolsdelivered.com/SAE-Impact-Socket-Sets_c_2896-1-2.html Snap On Industrial is a great balance between quality and price. All the Williams sockets I've gotten lately are identical to the snappy ones. Greyson

  10. #10kshansen2016-04-24 19:27

    That could be as the last I knew Snappy owned Williams! http://www.snaponindustrialbrands.com/30/home.htm

  11. #11hetkind2016-04-24 20:30

    Williams would be my choice...

  12. #12nowing752016-04-24 23:51

    Harbor freight works ok. I get a lot on eBay of the larger sizes from snapon cheep just need to look all the time

  13. #13hetkind2016-04-25 04:27

    I bought a set of Williiams 3/4 drive, short impact sockets recently and here is the vendor I used: http://aboloxtools.com/socket-tools...rive-impact-shallow-socket-set-16-pieces-sae/ Williams is a Snap-on industrial brand: http://aboloxtools.com/product_images/snap-on/catalog3/Snap-on Industrial Brands - CAT3 363.pdf I have been buying them one at a time as needed from McMaster-Carr, www.McMaster.com , usually to replace broken or worn out snap-on sockets. I haven't failed one yet. Howard

  14. #14jaluhn2016-04-25 16:46

    Keep an eye on craigslist too - I got a nice set of older USA 3/4 drive sockets for pretty cheap not long ago. Just got to be on the ball to find and get them. You can also set it up on there to search surrounding area so it'll find anything within say 2-300 miles. May be worth the drive if they're cheap enough.

  15. #15Seabass2016-04-28 00:13

    I'm partial to Wright. Very high quality, decent price.

  16. #16Old Doug2016-05-07 19:46

    I went to a flea market today and there was a guy that had alot of new USA 1/2 and 3/4 impact sockets. He didnt have every size but the price was right $5.00 each i was tempted to buy more than a set but i didnt. There is another flea market at the end of the month that has alot of tools i am going to maybe i can put a set together.