Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3/8″ to 1/2″ hyd. hose OK?

NCman ยท 2017-05-31 09:27

I had a 3/8" swing cylinder hose bust so I got replacements for both of the lines as both had friction wear.... They did not have 3/8" hose so I went with 1/2". It is working well but now I have a leak on one of the swing cylinder seals. Could that larger hose be putting more pressure on the cylinders? Hoses are only approx. 40" long. Also I have been doing a lot of ditch cleaning using the swing cylinders pretty hard. Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1farmerlund2017-05-31 10:13

    Hose size will not change the pressure applied to the cylinder. Could possibly have more flow, but by using the same fitting on everything else, I doubt you even notice any difference in speed.

  2. #292U 34062017-05-31 10:49

    Hose size has zero effect on pressure. It will allow less restricted oil flow but that's about it. Always better to go a size bigger in a pinch than to go a size smaller.

  3. #3NCman2017-05-31 10:53

    Thanks guys...guess it's just time to replace seals in cylinder