I have been searching around google and cant find what I am looking for. I am wondering if anyone makes a 3 point to excavator bucket coupler? I have owned a tractor for years and I just recently bought an excavator. I have around 8 different 3 point attachments for my 30hp tractor, and it would be great to use them with my X. I know I could run a six spline shaft motor with my AUX output and make arms that would attach to my coupler, but I am sure someone else has done this before?? Thanks
You my friend, have come up with a million dollar idea. Weld a quick hitch to a 3pl adapter. Hyd motor through a reduction box to 540rpm.
Well, I couldn’t find anyone making what I was looking for so I guess I went ahead and started to build it. I bought a quick hitch from Harbor Freight and a Xchange coupler off eBay. Skid steer solutions had the pump and so far Ive been able to use up scrap steel around the shop.
Nice work!
It sounds very different, but I don't quite understand how it works. Doesn't it duplicate the functionality of quick hitch?
This will give me the ability to use any of my tractor implements with my excavator.
Oh,,so the 3pl adapter is make you can using the tractor attachments on the excavator?
Yep! I would say my primary desire is to use my forks, brush hog but I want to try out my flail mower, rake and post hole digger. Here are some updated pictures.
Nice work!
THAT is interesting! Thanks for sharing. I'd love to see some videos of using those different attachments/devices.
Thanks Gary, I have the unit painted and I am waiting on the Hydraulic parts to come in. I will probably put together a youtube video of me using it.
surplus center has hydraulic motors with PTO splines just for what your doing, no gearbox needed.
Thanks for the tip, I already have the motor(you can see it in the last picture). I am waiting on some fittings. I am also trying to decide if I will put in a 3 way valve on each line with a disconnect, so that I don't have to hook up the long lines if I am using forks or a rake.
Do you have plans for a bypass loop so it doesn't put lots of stress on the hydraulics when you stop the mower or other attachments with large amounts of built up momentum?
Yes! My X is equipped with a valve near the manifold that you rotate when using a continuous flow implement such as a ho-pac. Is that what your are referring to?
No, he is refering to a case drain I believe.
No, a cross over relief valve is needed.
You REALLY need to twist that bush hog 90 degrees if you ever plan to survive operating that attachment as pictured. And reinforce the sidewall facing the cab. Lexan or other polycarbonate to shield the operator. You will NOT have time to react when it throws a chunk, or worse a blade, into the direction of the cab. Trust me, I could tell some stories about flying debris with cutters.........
First off, let me say that I am not planning on using this is in the same capacity as the road maintenance guys. I own a couple properties that I tried to keep cut down 2-3 times a year. Lots of blackberries, grass, small alders, etc. When I go out to the properties, I often need both my bucket and a mower which has required me to bring two pieces of equipment. I am hopeful that I can do it in one trip from now on. I plan to keep the brush hog low to the ground while running it, and with my X I sit pretty high up. That said, I have also considered installing chains on the bush hog as well. It would be interesting to entertain the engineering of a 90 twist to the 3 point.
Correct.
@56wrench explains it better than I did here: HeavyEquipmentForums
Be sure that your life insurance and health insurances are paid up before operating that thing. The Darwin Award will be free. A chain curtain may contain small bits, reduce velocity on medium size chunks and do next to nothing for larger, deadly objects. It's the hidden objects you don't see that will likely kill you. Maybe you should ask why I add on so many extra guard on my machines and cutters. And if you think a bush hog is safe, I had a friend who slung a piece of wire that went through his back but did not exit his chest skin. There was a lump where the wire was almost pushing through when in bed that night. The doctor cut his chest and removed the piece of rusty wire. He was lucky and did not hit anything vital. This happened with a Ford 8N tractor. This is why I do not run rotary cutters without operator shields on my tractor or other equipment.