Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3 way tail gate pics

wrenchbender ยท 2007-03-02 20:56

If any of ya'll have pics of your 3 way tail gates I would like to see them.And yes I'm talking about Dump Truck 3 way tail gates. I have a guy that wants me to build one for a truck I built the bed on a few years back. I'm looking for easy to operate and or build ones.What seams to work best for the drivers? Below is a couple of pics of the dump I built it's an FL70 I don't remember the year model.

Replies12
  1. #190plow2007-03-03 07:16

    Not sure you would be able to make a three way that less than 3 or four people coultd handle (when you fold it down). I worked for a landscaper that had two ways, dump swing and barn door open. If it has a barn door open you dont need it to fold down and with all the added weight it doesnt seem like an easy task to fold down and lift up. Plus since they are so thick I dont know that it would fold down flat. -Eric

  2. #2wrenchbender2007-03-03 08:31

    Here's a pic of the gates that built to start with. But now the owner wants to sit in the cab open tail gate roll up tarp dump the load. Yet still have this style gates for hauling palletized flag stone and the such.

  3. #3wrenchbender2007-03-03 12:48

    Wrong pic above This is the pic I meant to post

  4. #4Orchard Ex2007-03-04 15:37

    WB, Here are some pics of mine. It's a two way but I think it's what you're looking for. Sorry I can't get pic's of the linkages to operate the release. Closeup of double pivot hinge: DP hinge and pin hinge for barn door op.: Closeup of release on driver side: Release, release op handle, turnbuckle: Closeup of release op handle and safety pin:

  5. #5CM19952007-03-04 15:50

    I had an OX dump with a 2 way gate very similiar to that except the top latch on the drivers side was not mechanical. There was a pin there to hold the top pivot point of the tailgate in. The regular gate latch was air operated but you had to put the vertical pin in to operate as a barn door type. Check these tailgates out. The one I had was like the first pic. http://www.oxbodies.com/main.html

  6. #6wrenchbender2007-03-04 16:33

    Thanks Thanks Orchard Ex and CM1995 for taking the time to post these pics as they will help me out a lot. I now have options as to how build this gate. Until now I've only seen one and that was some time ago. I guess it's not a big seller around these parts. I'll post pics when the job is finished if the client don't back out on me.

  7. #7nobull12007-03-04 17:36

    Here are a couple of pic's of my tailgate. It will come down from the top 90 or 180 degrees, depending on the adjustment of the chain. This way you can dump material or load pallets by forklift You can adjust the chain to spread gravel with the bottom unlocked and spacing of the chains. You also can remove the gate if you want as well. The release is just behind the cab. Don't know if this is of any help, but might give you a couple of ideas

  8. #8wrenchbender2007-03-04 18:30

    Oh yes nobull1 it helps and this why I ask for pics on this forum. Cause I knew you guys could & would come through with the results I needed. The more designs I have to choose from the better I can serv my client. nobull1 do you possibly go by a similar screen name on another forum? Thanks

  9. #9nobull12007-03-04 18:36

    Yes I carry that handle around to a few other forums. What one are you talking about?

  10. #10wrenchbender2007-03-04 18:55

    (Hobart site) That handle plus you beeing from Nova Scotia well 2+2 is usualy 4. So I had to ask to be sure, good to see you and hope you're doing well. And thanks again for the pics

  11. #11HRLand2014-03-13 20:22

    New guy here. Just found this site while searching for 3 way tailgate hinges and found exactly what I was looking for in this thread. Can anyone give me some info on the hinge on Orchard Ex's pics?

  12. #12AlldayRJ2016-07-26 06:31

    Anyone know where to buy that dual action hinge?