Was going to post this in my ongoing E42 thread, but I didn't know if it would get seen there much. Does any one currently use the 30" or 36" bucket from Bobcat on either one of the above machines (E42, E45, or E50)? I looked under "excavator attachments" on Bobcat's website, http://www.bobcat.com/attachments/specs/335_337_435_buckets It shows a 30" trenching bucket, and 36" trenching, heavy duty and severe duty buckets. Currently we mostly use the 24" severe duty, and we also have a 13" trenching, 20" trenching, and 39" grading buckets. For our E42, I think a 30" severe duty (if they make it, not sure if that's the bucket listed) would be the right bucket for most of our work, I think the 36" may be too big for the machine. Does anyone else currently own/run one of these machines, and do you use one of these 30 or 36 inch buckets, thoughts?
I own a 435 and I have 1', 2', & 3' buckets. For comparison, the machine weighs about 11,500# and is a zero tail design. I added the extra rear counter weight to help it with the bigger bucket. We use the Severe Duty buckets as the lighter duty 3' bucket can't handle real work for long. My machine is in the Rocky Mountains too, so it is not digging much "potato dirt". I don't know much about the 42 but I've given you enough info to make a comparison to yours.
buckets i tend to agree with the above post. i would rent a 36" and see how it works for you. they can be a bit tippy but make for quiker cleanup and loadout. we always dig with a 24", trench with a 12". i am running 435's as well
I run a 30 on my 325 bobcat mini. I think you would be fine with a 36.
Alot depends on your specific ground conditions. I think in rocky conditions a 36" bucket on that size machine would be pretty limited both in digging performance and stability. If your in clean topsoil type material you might be fine. Our conditions are pretty tough here, I get the most use out of a 24" and a 50" clean up bucket. I also have a 30" I use as well althought not nearly as much as the 24". I have 12,500 pound Takeuchi TB153FR.
I presently have been using a 18"' severe duty, a 24" severe duty and a 52" grading bucket for my E50 and I have no problem using any of them. Lots of power on the E50. Not sure if that helps in regards to your E42 Nice machine by the way, Sounds like your liking the new "M" as much as the rest of us. I think a 30" would be fine for a E42 depending on it intended use. I could be wrong.
Thanks for the opinions, although we have been in the business for almost 30 years, this is definately a good resource to use when you need an opinion or advice. We ordered and just received a 30" Severe duty, its a special order bucket.
where i work here in nc we got a e42 and we have used a 36inch on it and it did alsom and we got hard red clay you shob be fine
We run a 24 hd, 36 hd, 54 cleanout with the E50 at work, it is a long stick also. The hd 36 can be a little to much for it at times with the thumb and power tilt as well when the bucket is on and no power tilt. The machine will move some dirt and dig very well for it's size. We had also talked about having a less high heap 36" that would work with or without the power tilt also because of the tip factor with a full bucket. Over the blade is fine, most of the work we do is off the side at full reach at 3 to 7 foot deep.
Thank you to everyone for the comments of advice. To follow up anyone with an E42, E45, E50, or E55 or thinking of purchasing one, I wouldn't even bother getting the Bobcat 24" Severe duty bucket that comes standard on it, unless you specifically want or need a 24" bucket then it is a good bucket or if you are pulling rock/ledge/concrete apart all day or digging in hard clay or gravel all day. Otherwise the E42 (with the long arm and extra counterweight) handles the 30" Geith Severe duty bucket like nothing, and I'm sure it could handle the 36" on most occasions. We also picked up a 52" grading bucket for the E42 as well and use that when grading and stripping off loam for patios and pool decks as well as stripping loam and sand off for foundation holes and have dug complete cellar holes and loaded out 10 wheelers and triaxles (with high sides) using nothing but the E42 and 52" grading bucket. For digging we use the 30" digging bucket probably 85% of the time, the 52" bucket 13% of the time and the other buckets we have about 2%. The machine has so much power and breakout force that it could probably even handle a bigger bucket than the 36", THEY ARE JUST PLAIN POWERFULL!
I used a 36" bucket on an E42 bailing loam, moving logs, and digging out stumps. The tech who dropped it off apologized for having a "too big" bucket on it, said they were out of smaller ones, and said to be careful. Except for tossing heaping buckets of loam, I ended up being grateful for the bigger bucket. The E42 will put it to work. Unless you're doing really heavy work, the 36 will be more productive.
I have a 24" a 36" and the 52" grading bucket with the power tilt on my 337. Handles them without any problems whatsoever. I think the 337 might be a little heavier than the e42 though.