Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

304.5 Mini

gs11028 ยท 2013-08-12 01:41

Hello to all, I am new to this site. I am considering my first CAT machine. It will be for fairly light use- 150 hrs per year doing farm clean up, transplanting small trees, light road building. I have found a 304.5 that is about $3500-4000 below market pricing. It has 2800 hrs. It is tight and dry. I have questions about hyd. issues. The blade will lift machine at idle. The engine must be wide open for for arm to lift machine. On turns the left track will spin under load, the right will not. Straight ahead will spin both tracks. The house has a very slow drift to the right about 2 feet per hour. The tracks are poor, it has been run over hard ground a lot, I could live with the tracks as is. Long list of concerns!! What do you think, should I consider this unit or run from it.

Replies1
  1. #1jack3452013-08-12 23:55

    If you're not sure find a good mechanic have him go over machine . $4K under market price is not that much if tracks, maybe a drive, "maybe ?" needs replacing or worked on at shop prices. If its a winter project and you have time/manuals/money it could be a good buy.No matter what you pay for it with your concern list it will cost you more and the mechanic might help in knowing that cost. Good luck