Anyone have one? Dont really know too much about them, one caught my eye on machinery trader, so I searched on here without much luck. How do they stack up against the other 8 ton machines, which ones are grey? I like this one, the prog. link thumb is bad ass!!
The easiest way to tell if it's gray is if there's a Rega sticker on each side of the machine. If there is, it's most definately a gray.
I think it is not gray. Gray is my 307 ssr and i think the 308 bsr! In greys you should see the REGA sticker and everywhere Japanese is written
We've hired before and they are a good strong machine, we do find them to be a little low on tracking power for a CAT but still fairly good. We find the offset boom next to the cab to be the better ones, more flexible and more reach, rubber tracks is also an option to look at for any work on pavements etc.
Thats the sort of info I was looking for. Anyone know how much they can lift?
Here is a link to the specs on this machine. https://www.equipmentwatch.com/Navigation.do?product=SF&categoryName=Excavators&subTypeId=174&subTypeName=Crawler+Mounted+Hydraulic+Excavators&manufacturerName=Caterpillar&manufacturerId=497&modelInstanceName=307C&modelInstanceId=2554
Best way to see if a machine is gray market is to get the seral # off the machine and call the cat dealer parts dept. They can tell if it's gray market. I can also check by logging on to my parts store acct and see if the first 3 letters of the seral # are listed under the 307c series. Post the serial # and I will check it for you. I have a 94 307, great machine, has about 5600 hrs.
Anyone have anymore input/experience with 307's?
Good machines, mitsubishi engines reliable and good access to the engine through the rear Bennett, low slung counterweight, good size cab, same without as the bigger cat excavators
Thank you!
Are you looking at buying one?
likely going to downsize, looking at 307C, deere 80C, and there ZTS cousins. Not exactly sure whats going to happen yet.
I ran a 307 for a little bit probably 12 years ago now when it was new, and it was a great machine! Quiet, easy on fuel and plenty of power. Never had any issues with it that I know of, the boss traded it in when it was about 3 or so years old, and another company in town bought it, as far as I know they never had any issues with it either. Ours had a thumb, we built retaining walls with it on a somewhat regular basis and the rocks the thing could lift were substantial! I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I was looking for a machine that size...
We have a 308CSR. Not quite the same but I figure it's pretty close. We haven't had any problems with it really. It always starts in cold weather (down to -20F so far). Right now it has about 6,000 hours on it.
307'll whoop a 308 all day, EVERY day!!! I've dug 2500-3000' a day of under drain with a 7, 1500-2000' a day with a 8.
Nedly, I really really like that machine. I want to buy a midi excavator this year and it's either going to be that 307 or the Takeuchi 175. I'll definitely be going with rubber tracks though. I see that one already has the tracks drilled for rubber bolt on pads, and it has a mech. thumb. I Think the swivel boom is the only way to go. I can only imagine that machine thinks it's bigger than it is and will handle a 36" bucket in the right hands. It looks very stable and the cab looks like a full size cab. I've noticed they come with both styles of swivel booms. Looks like a great machine either way. I imagine the reach is great with the swivel boom at the bottom because that really moves it forward. I wonder if they have a short stick and a long stick version. This style looks like it will curl up in some really tight spaces. Might hit the cab too, huh. I'd like to try this style of offset because the machine stays straight while the boom is offset.
Thanks Brian, I actually started this thread a few years ago and figured re use it instead of starting a new one. What I'd really like is to find one with a blade, hyd. Thumb, coupler with a digging bucket and a cleanup bucket. Not sure how I feel about the swing boom, it'd sort of like the conventional boom so I can suck it up next to the cab like your pic. I hear the offset boom is very handy, but I feel like its a lot of extra weight and more stuff to wear out and maintain. Might just be me but I think I'd prefer the old fashioned straight boom. My buddy,15 minutes away wants to buy the 110, so if he bought it, I'd trade my kobelco and have a good chunk to put down with it. Hopefully a nice 307 will come up before spring! Thanks for the replays guys, good info as always!
I called and emailed Milton cat, no response yet, also emailed g stone equipment about an 80c they have. No response yet from them. The 80 looks good, has a hyd thumb but it's got a short stick, I don't think I really want to sacrifice reach so I'm not really hot on that one. I can't believe how few of this size there are.
This 307 looks to be in great condition. Had to be a utility machine with the little bucket....lot's of idle time! All you have to do is click on the buy it now button:cool2 http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Caterpillar-307C-/181298739207?pt=Excavators&hash=item2a363f3807
Definitely looks like a nice unit, wish it was closer!
I think what you are going to find is that the state of our wonderful economy has made it more reasonable to own a smaller machine, since the majority of the jobs available to smaller contractors has shrunk in size. From what I've seen, here in the Northeast anyway, is that class machine is one that is in the most demand now ,making used ones hold their value and new ones priced high. Just curious, don't you think you'll miss the "0"swing of the Kobelco? I had one years ago and sometimes wish I still had it. Good luck with your search and be patient....
I definetly haven't ruled out the zts machines, I'd like to go deere or cat. I've never durn a 308 but the 75 I ran didn't impress me, I didn't run it very long though.
Anyone have any experience with a komatsu pc78us? I've found one that's spec'd exactly how I want, have to call on it tomorrow.
A good friend of mine has a 78, I think it's an 06 model. It's a very good machine, strong and dependable. He mostly uses it to feed his topsoil screener and small excavation jobs. I have ran it a few hours and I like it.
This one is an 06. I emailed on it, have to call in the morning.
You might look into a Kubota KX-080. We have one. Nice machine, good power. It has a hyd thumb, coupler, 36 inch bucket as well as a 48 inch tilt bucket. We have had no problems at all with it and the price was great. Chris
I own a komatsu pc78us-6 2008 model and have been very happy with it. I have close friend who has a 2006 307c and it has been a good machine also. I like the cab better on the cat but I think my pc78 may be a little stronger and quicker , He has the short stick and I have the long stick which should give him a little more power ,but i think my 78 is still a little stronger . I got rid of a 30,000 lb. machine to go back to the 78 size machine. I also have a good friend who bought a 78 after he ran mine. This size machine is hard to find and the price tends to be pretty high.
Great info here NWH! What type of work are you doing mostly? Do you feel it was A good move to downsize? What are you running for trucks? I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep the tandem, or go back to just a single axle.
Great info here NWH! What type of work are you doing mostly? Do you feel it was A good move to downsize? What are you running for trucks? I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep the tandem, or go back to just a single axle.
I do not have a dump truck as I do not have access to dirt pit where I live. There is only one good pit in our area and I have a good working relationship with the owner. We do farm irrigation,driveways,lot clearing concrete removal, stump digging,pond construction and pretty much anything dirt related. We usually haul our machines with f550 or equiv truck in order to keep cost down and be competitive with the other contractors in our area.almost every farmer in our area has a 40,000 lb machine and run them to cheap to be profitable for me to own one. If I have a bigger job my friends work with me and if need be a larger machine is easy to rent. It is different working for yourself than working someone else as far as what equipment you use. I have 5 pieces of equipment and each of my friends have 3 or 4.
So do you work alone mostly? I'm in the same boat, I have buddies with iron also and we team up on certain jobs.