Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

308E irregular voltage issue

paul croxson ยท 2021-01-25 23:09

Hi all, hoping someone might be able to help me out with my voltage issue. Have a cat 308e, was helping a neighbour out cutting some trees down for them with a tree sheer. I did have to jump start the excavator today, but not yesterday. Everything was going fine, then irregular voltage came up on the computer screen, almost straight away the knuckle function got stuck on, I could switch been that and rotation on sheer, which was stuck on as well. Was moving excavator to a flat spot when the computer screen started flashing then the computer screen went blank. Any tips where to start? Battery, alternator, ecu. Anything in particular i should look out for? Thanks in advance Paul

Replies5
  1. #1heymccall2021-01-26 00:52

    Voltage test.

  2. #2paul croxson2021-01-26 01:33

    Battery first? With it running and see if alternator is putting 0ut around 14.5v Then check at ecu?

  3. #3Cmark2021-01-26 02:18

    1. Battery voltage key off, engine off. 2. Battery voltage key on, engine off. 3. Battery voltage engine running. 4. Check fuses. If you post your serial number, that wins you an electrical schematic.

  4. #4paul croxson2021-01-26 03:58

    I like prizes I do have schematic from previous issues. Will do all the basics tomorrow and get back to you. Thanks everyone

  5. #5paul croxson2021-02-02 01:43

    Thanks all for your help. Was the alternator. Quite difficult to find an aftermarket to fit. Had to do a bit of cosmetic, but we got her going again