Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

310 SJ MFWD Steering Cylinder Removal

Ricardo Cotte ยท 2026-01-31 20:20

Hello all, It has been a while since I had not asked for advice here on HEF. Not using the backhoe that much. And as such, when you do use it, surprises pop up. I need to remove the steering cylinder and have seen some how to videos of similar machines but not the 310SJ. Also searched within this TLB forum for past threads about this topic without success. This is on a ZF MFWD axle. I have already realized it will be a lot more room to work by removing the tires/wheels. However, was wondering if I can somehow force the cylinder out of its hut in the axle by using its own hydraulic pressure. I hate to bang on things with hammers. Also, I think there's space to remove the cylinder along with the tie rods in place since the OD of the cylinder is larger than the tie rod body. It seems it will clear the opening on the MFWD cavity where the cylinder goes. Otherwise it is a pain disassembling in place. It is a lot better to take these apart on a workbench. Any suggestions or past experiences told will be greatly appreciated.

Replies5
  1. #1mg23612026-02-01 07:04

    Check your messages.

  2. #2Ricardo Cotte2026-02-01 19:03

    Hello mg2361, Thanks much for your correspondence and help. Would it be possible to remove the cylinder with the right tie rod end still on? I mean, after removing the right tie rod assembly which seems easier to do. I have noticed that this part is not bigger than the cylinder OD and hence its mounting cavity on the axle.

  3. #3Ricardo Cotte2026-02-01 19:04

    Thanks! I messed up and posted what was supposed to be my reply to you.

  4. #4mg23612026-02-02 05:38

    In order to reseal the cylinder, the tie rods have to be removed and they will be easier to remove on the machine. You may have to grind down a wrench to fit across the flats of the rod and use the axle housimng to help back up that wrench while you turn the tie rods off.

  5. #5Ricardo Cotte2026-02-02 07:30

    Good morning, Thanks for your reply. End of the story, will bite the bullet and work it out as you recommend.