Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

310D stabilizer leg pins but no bushings

Deon ยท 2012-08-16 21:55

This is disappointing. I was to order new pins and bushings to tighten up my woobly stabilizers. But it seams there are no bushings. I assume the leg holes are worn more than the pins. (see photo pin # 20) If I see things right there is no point to replace the pins. # 19 & 21 are washers and C-clips. Are all backhoes built like this? What can I do to remedy this?

Replies11
  1. #1willie592012-08-16 22:19

    Depends on the size of material you're working with Deon. It may be too small to weld hole and bore to size. Aside from that, it depends on how much thickness there is to that pin boss (the hole) that the pin goes through, is there enough metal there to have a machine shop bore the hole oversize on each side then press a sleeve bushing into it?

  2. #2Deon2012-08-17 06:38

    Willie 59, Is that leg made of cast steel? If so, I can just cut the end off and weld on a pre-made sleeve with replable busings pressed in. I have my own lathe and welding equipment so I can do this myself.

  3. #3willie592012-08-17 18:55

    I don't know if it's cast or not Deon, been a few years since I've been around those machines. I was just curious if there's enough metal there to bore the hole oversize and fit a sleeve bushing.

  4. #4Deon2012-08-17 19:50

    Willie59. I always respect your ideas and your idea is probably the best. The pin is 2 1/8" and the casting is right around 4". That sounds like plenty thick to me. What I don't know is where to find someone to do the line boaring at a reasonable price. Everytime I hear of line boaring its big bucks. What would one expect to pay for a job like this? Do you have any idea?

  5. #5willie592012-08-17 20:41

    I'm not really suggesting line boring, but rather take the whole bottom stabilizer arm to a machine shop, have them set it up in an end mill or something, bore the hole on each side oversize enough to fit a sleeve bushing, no need to bore the pin boss all the way through the arm. But you need to verify that pin size for certain, 2 1/8" would be an odd size, even in metric, which would be roughly 53mm, odd size. http://www.ebushing.com/mssb.html http://www.ebushing.com/issb.html

  6. #6Deon2012-08-17 21:19

    Willie59, I didn't mic the pin. Just a rough size. Wasn't thinking of boring all the way through. Just thinking of aligning both bushing. Considering the hole is now out of round, once one side is rebored, it would be difficult to setup for the other side without the boring rod running all the way through. I think that is possible on my lathe though. Thanks for your thoughts. They are appreciated.

  7. #7willie592012-08-17 21:25

    I understand your concern of "alignment" of approaching from both sides of the arm. I'm no machinist myself, don't know what method would be used to do this, only know that a good machinist has ways of figuring these things out. BTW, it's not unusual for these pin connections (stabilizer arm) to not have bushing originally, it's a low speed and low load stress pivot. As arm is going up/down, the only load is the weight of the arm and cylinder. Yes, when pad contacts ground and raises machine the load increases, but I think the point is with sufficient greasing, wear on this pin is minimal. If you can manage to fit sleeve bushings in this arm, likely the machine will fall apart before you wear out the arms again.

  8. #8Deon2012-08-17 21:42

    Yes, your right. It's got almost 9,000 hrs. now. The swing casting has been replaced before bought it and I replaced all other pins and bushings that were worn. The stabilized pins are the only ones still loose. Everything else works well and engine runs well, no smoke, doesn't burn oil so I'm going to finish the last repairs and then repaint it.

  9. #9willie592012-08-17 21:54

    Sounds good, give Brent a call and tell him to whup you up some decals. http://www.associatedgraphix.com/

  10. #10Deon2012-08-18 16:46

    Thanks. I didn't know about Brent.

  11. #11Sky King2012-08-19 10:20

    I should take a picture and let you see mine. The whole section was repaired and a doubler plate welded. That is broken so there is Nothing there to support the stabilizer. LOL. The more I look the more I find. I have allot of equipment to do the repair so that is not a problem. I used to do line boring on crane booms on occasion. I wonder if there is any demand for this kind of work in my area. That would be reasonable cool to have a rig, come out do the bore, then machine busings and pins. Easy enough. I can start with mine. LOL As an aside, I don't know how bad your pins and bushings are, or how much you use your machine. From what I have been told, all the stuff wears out pretty quick. If it were me, I'd harden the pins and the bushings if I wanted the repairs to last. Now you have me thinking again. LOL Good luck,