I have two fresh 950cca batteries. Charging voltage no load 13.98v. with load ,front and rear lamps and fan on high 13.65v is this normal?
looks good,any charging systems should be between 12.7 and 14
What rpm? I'd say that's pretty good at idle, and still nothing to worry about at high rpm.
The voltage did not change with rpm it was pretty consistent. I am just used to seeing 14-14.5 in automotive .
It has a good regulator ...
My Deere shows 14.6 with no load. Batteries still perfectly healthy after 4 years. I also have a 2007 Dodge Sprinter made by Mercedes Benz. It only shows 13.9 to 14.0 and needed to be charged often with a plugin charger or the battery will be garbage within a year.
What model is your deere ? I think for winter it will get a trickle charger. What size batteries you running?
I'd guess you have a lot more drain on the Sprinter than on the Deere, and it doesn't get driven an hour straight every day.
That sounds about right, for the original alternator, I personally like to upgrade mine and get that 14.4 volt reading. Google "3g alt upgrade", its pretty easy to do. My JCB has a 55 amp alt (stock) and it reads 14.4 at idle, I'll be upgrading this summer to a higher amperage alt ( 3g).
My Deere is a 310D with 2 1000 CCA batteries and Delmer has a good point. My Sprinter is loaded with computer gadgets and does not get driven very far most days. Maybe I should swap alternators.
I have an old pettibone with a delco one wire alternator that has a square plug that goes where the two wires usually hook to a delco alternator. Only this plug doesn't have any wires, and you can rotate it's position to get the voltage you want, based on how you use the machine. You can do the same thing with most alternators, usually you don't need more amps, you just want a different voltage regulator set for a higher voltage if you don't run the machine very long at a time. If you really let the machine sit long enough for the batteries to drain down between uses, then charge them up or keep them charged up, nothing kills alternators like starting with half charged batteries, except maybe jumper cables?
Delmer, Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I did a bit of studying on batteries and chargers a few years ago as I was going to sell battery chargers online. But I became too busy with my regular business so I dropped it but decided to use the knowledge to take care of my own batteries. I now own about 8 BatteryMinders. http://www.batteryminders.com I have one permanently mounted to my Sprinter after loosing 2 batteries in the first 2 years of ownership. I believe a BatteryMinder is one of the best available with a sofisticated desulfation system. All of my seasonal tools and toys spend a lot of time pluged in one of these. My sprinter gets used almost everyday, some runs are short and some are 2 to 10 hours but the voltage still drops to about 12.2 volts after a week without a chargers help. A full day run wont help bring up the charge. I even got a new alternator and section of the wiring harness on warranty trying to fix the problem. Just a bad system. I know what the voltage is at all time because I installed a digital volt meter in the dash. It will never pass 14.0 volts.
It is normal .. mine has 14.0