Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3116/3126 injector sleeve

rmllarue91 ยท 2018-05-05 15:18

1wm6757 3126A non B model same cup part numbers as some of the muei but this is the first style huei. injector sleeve finally got them all out but the two small groves near top have Cooper or brass rings from old cups being pressed in can't get the rings out. Can spin them but can't get them out. tried cutting with Dremel cut off wheel but my hands and eyes won't let me get them with out bumping head. For $1700 will just get remain head in future. But I'm in now and need to have truck on road for Monday it's my service truck cups weren't issue bad head gasket just thought I'd do cups while head is off now I wish I didn't look at them any help / experience is very welcome thanks hef.

Replies7
  1. #1Cmark2018-05-05 19:12

    Sound like you've gone down the rabbit hole on this one. The only way I've found to get the left over bits of copper out of the grooves is with a selection of sharp seal picks and patience. You do have the roller-expander to install the new sleeves, right?

  2. #2rmllarue912018-05-05 20:04

    Yeah turned into alot more than I thought... Your right my brother got them with a super sharp pick ( I need to get my picks warrantied by the way lol ) I bought the old kit from eBay it has a drive in tool they called a swag ? Seems legit gave them healthy amount of 609 loctite. the block and head had some pitting around cylinder where gasket was blown out. I copper coated gasket hopefully I'll get lucky and it will seal. I'm thinking next truck I would like a isc I'm going to be buying a pre-emission medium duty truck just not a big fan of the 7 liter motors from cat. It's nice that I already have the software for cat. I seem to like them in equipment more than trucks? Thanks for replying I was getting nervous.

  3. #3Cmark2018-05-05 20:26

    Installing the sleeves is a two-step process. The swage expends the tip of the sleeve. The roller expander then forms the copper into the grooves at the top. The roller expander is super expensive and is what puts most people off buying the tooling, including me! As you've said, the reman heads aren't that expensive and they come with the sleeves factory installed. That's the route I usually take, given the choice.

  4. #4Tenwheeler2018-05-05 22:14

    I have done that once, sleeves that is. Sent the head to a machine shop to have it redone. It had a cracked injector sleeve and decided to do an in frame due to mileage. Then found out the injector sleeves had not been replaced. No I don't have the tooling but they look good. ??? Got my head and borrowed the tools. A used tool set on E bay was over $2,000. It was a hasel. Sounds like you had one also. Best you changed them as that ia a common problem.

  5. #5rmllarue912018-05-05 22:34

    Okay cmark we are on different pages I'll get tool group # and procedure # tomorrow. The set and procedure I have it leaves out the roller process. i know I have the out dated kit. New one was 4 grand +. Man if these cups don't seal it's not going suck. I got head set on I'm going to pressure test before I put injectors in I guess.... On these engines give cat the money torque it down and don't worry about it.

  6. #6Tenwheeler2018-05-06 21:00

    There is an independent shop in this area that can do those sleeves with the head on the engine. They are big on Cat's and have lots of experience. Just saying if you can find someone to do the install, even Cat, that would be a lot less expensive than buying the tools.

  7. #7rmllarue912018-05-13 22:28

    Well I got it took no lie 2 full days messing with cups and a day was lost in between with parts. what a pita. I know I said it before but best way is just get a reman head. Lil heat helped cups come out easier. like stated super sharp pick to remove rings. Thanks for help with modifications the obsolete kit will work was a bunch of them army surplus on ebay.