Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3126- to c-10 wiring compatibility

crane operator ยท 2018-11-11 09:40

I know this is a crane, but I'm putting it in the truck section, because its really kind of truck/engine related, I know the crane part. So I've been crane shopping, I'm always looking, but I'm looking pretty hard. I'm really looking for a 40 ton three axle rig, and I've always kind of wanted one of the grove ats540's. They are a all wheel drive, all wheel steer, three axle rig. The one I'm looking at is right at 67,000lbs. The big drawback on this crane, is the engine/trans. They turned out this rig with a 3126, which is a 7 liter motor, 300hp, 800ftlbs torque. Allison auto behind it. I know this isn't going to cut it in my area of short steep hills. I need around a 10-11liter motor. Cummins M11, Detroit 11.1 or 12.7 (I think they are the same size externally) Mack e-6 is a 10 liter (and probably could find one from a garbage truck with heavier allison), or maybe a cat c-10/12. I haven't decided if its staying auto or going to manual transmission. There is a drop box behind the allison with low and high range, and the engage for front wheel. The cummins or detroit would be more familiar/ common in my area than the cat. But- and here's a big but- I'm wondering if it would be possible that a cat c-10/12 and the 3126 would use the same wiring hook ups? So to speak if I take care of installing the larger motor, that the wiring connections from the crane to the engine would be plug and play. Crane has gauge packages upstairs and downstairs and throttle controls from each position, and wiring diagrams make my eyes kind of glaze over. I'm thinking cat in the same era would have used the same connectors for engines to ease hooking up laptops to each engine, so the wiring in the connectors would be in the same places across the engine family. I've been kind of looking at these two companies, and I'm going to call them and talk about what I'm looking at doing, just wondering if anyone else has any advice. http://www.kustomharness.com/engine-harnesses http://mobile.mawkindustries.com/cummins-2-6

Replies4
  1. #1pushbroom2018-11-11 15:14

    Going off a 7AS 3126 and a 2CK c12, Both are 70 pins so should be able to use the same OEM side harness. Probably would need to do some programming on the new engine for remote throttle/pto setups. I have used both mawk and kustom truck harness before. Good service from both.

  2. #2crane operator2018-11-11 21:58

    Thanks pushbroom, that's the info I was looking for. I hate the idea of buying a crane and then tearing it apart to get what I want, I'll have to do some pencil pushing to see if the numbers work.

  3. #392U 34062018-11-12 00:21

    You migrated over here too? Amodel from the other place lol.

  4. #4pushbroom2018-11-12 01:06

    Ive been lurking here for a couple years lol. Only started posting recently. Good to know im not alone.