Got a 1999 Chevy bucket truck with a cat 3126b in it, been fairly reliable. Went to start it two days ago and just got click. Removed starter, starter spins outside truck. So I turn the engine over by hand, engines not locked up. So hail mary I throw the starter back in, starts the truck right up. Not to long after attempt to start the truck again, starter's locked up again. Spin engine by hand and try starter again, starts right up. This is an odd intermittent issue I have not seen before, though my assumption is the bendix gear is getting stuck in the flywheel causing the motor to lock up and when I rotate the engine it frees itself to give me another shot at starting the engine. I'm having trouble finding part numbers for the starter motor or the bendix. Any help or advice would be greatly apricated.
Post the engine Serial Number. A search can be started from there.
Engine Serial Number: 7AS65081
Sorry. When I asked for the S/No I should have asked if there was also an Arrangement Number on the plate. There are 6 possibilities for a starter.
The plate reads AR No. 166-9473
That's a good number. I'm sorry but I can't find any information. It appears as though the starter was a GM part not Cat, because none of the 3126B engine Arrangement listings for GM use include starters which I find somewhat strange.
A couple of times I found that a starter would spin on the bench, but be worn out to the point that it would not not turn under load. Not saying this is the answer, only a possibility.
Those years Cat upgraded the starter to a 38MT IIRC. Had trouble with the spiral shaft for starter drive. IIRC Cat went to a straight starter drive shaft. Part of the issue was teeth not engaging correctly eating the flywheel ring gear. Which when replacing ring gear it has to be redrilled and tapped for clutch cover mounting. I replaced two back then for this reason. Best I remember.
Check voltage at batteries and at starter while cranking
I made sure of proper voltage