Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

312B Track tension cylinder blowing seals

DD Cincy ยท 2020-09-14 08:46

The left tension cylinder keeps blowing seals. I have replaced 3 of them this year, luckily they have been all warranty through Caterpillar. What could be causing it? The right cylinder is fine. I am thinking the undercarriage is needing replaced. I have a new set of tracks that I am planning to install tomorrow. Could this be the issue?

Replies6
  1. #1John C.2020-09-14 10:28

    A track adjuster cylinder extended all the way out will allow tipping between the cylinder barrel and the rod a the idler moves up and down in the frame ways. The adjuster cylinder will have to be collapsed before your new tracks are installed. You should consider rebuilding the adjusters anyway before you install the new tracks.

  2. #2DD Cincy2020-09-14 12:10

    I would most definitely install a new cylinder before installing the new tracks. If I didnt, that would be pointless right?

  3. #3uffex2020-09-14 13:12

    Good day May I suggest that while the track is of dismantle the cylinder and carefully check it out - case could be swollen or maybe a small defect in the surface. Kind regards Uffex

  4. #4Nige2020-09-14 13:30

    It wouldn't necessarily require a complete new cylinder, maybe just a rebuild of the old one using new parts as required. As Uffex pointed out above, if the piston and/or barrel have been damaged no amount of new seals are ever going to stay in one piece for long.

  5. #5DD Cincy2020-09-14 13:47

    The cylinder would be replaced with another from Caterpillar. The one on it is under a warranty. The main question I have is.....Would an excessively worn chain cause this issue?

  6. #6Nige2020-09-14 15:27

    Potentially it could. As John C explained above if the pins & bushes in the track chain assembly (link group) are excessively worn internally the tensioner cylinder might need to be extended past its safe operating range in order to achieve the correct track tension. That over-extension can result in the tensioner cylinder seals starting to leak. A suggestion. Ask your Caterpillar dealer Parts Department for a complete undercarriage system measurement (aka Custom Track Inspection). The service is free, especially if you give them the impresion that you will be buying your replacement undercarriage from them. When you get the report please post it here.