Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

314ELCR electrical gremlin

heymccall ยท 2020-03-10 10:51

I've got a 314ELCR ZJT00416 that has intermittent, concurrent, faults: 1530-6 quick coupler solenoid current above normal 376-6 travel alarm current above normal That means those two items are short to ground. Changed both. Still get them concurrently. So, today's questions, Where can I get a searchable PDF schematic (paper UENR2654) to use on my cell phone? Where can I get the contents of the service manual set (paper KENR9660) so that I can cherry pick which segments to purchase? Just spent an hour on the with my dealer personnel and I now know less than when I started. They gave me the schematic doc number, but had no clue on the shop manual number or its contents. I got that from the web. When travel alarm is functional, coupler works. When travel alarm isn't functional, coupler doesn't work. When travel alarm is garbled, attempted use of coupler takes travel alarm offline, and coupler fails to work. Later in the day, both come back on line.

Replies6
  1. #1Nige2020-03-10 13:29

    I've PM'd you an interactive copy of the latest Change 4 version. Fingers crossed it works on your phone. Regarding the Service Manual would a complete copoy on CD in pdf format be a more attractive proposition to purchase..? It'll be about hlaf the cost of a paper version - $460 to be exact.

  2. #2Cmark2020-03-10 16:41

    A quick review of the schematic shows that both the travel alarm and the QC solenoid are controlled by the switch panel. It also shows that their wires are on adjacent pins 12 & 13. Coincidence? Maybe, but it could be worth a look.

  3. #3heymccall2020-03-10 19:04

    Took about 2 seconds to find in the PDF.

  4. #4heymccall2020-03-19 17:54

    Update... After the initial... 1530-6 QC solenoid 376-6 Travel alarm ...current too high (shorted), I changed the travel alarm and QC solenoid. Old ones tested good. 3 days later, now getting... 732-6 Fine swing solenoid 781-6 Lighting relay 1530-6 QC Solenoid 3634-6 Boom light relay 376-6 Travel alarm @ various incidents from 7 to 13 times over last 20 hours. So, after throughly checking for harness abrasions and cleaning all ground connections that I could find, I've decided that the issue is the switch panel, 327-7538. Part number changed to 510-9643. Apparently, but cannot find, there was a publication indicating the production changes were made and describes similar issues. But, new panel worked twice, and I now get a 2300-9 code (switch panel abnormal update rate) along with none of the buttons working, or the AEC & Turtle indicators being lit (they should light by default at startup). Throttle does work. In between taking to a TA at Cat, I went back to get the software versions, and damned if everything isn't working again. Installed ............... Current Monitor 433-4527............... 540-6527 Machine 4336656 ............... 530-1728 Engine 417-4592 .............. 518-5116 Tried again, 2300-9. After an hour, go back, and everything works again. Does the new 510-9643 switch panel (not flashable) need the monitor software updated? Could I have gotten a bad new switch panel?

  5. #5Nige2020-03-19 21:43

    With the current level of parts quality coming out of Cat's suppliers IMO there is every chance of a dodgy part getting through the net. Here's the SMAGs.

  6. #6John C.2020-03-20 10:18

    That's the type of aggravation factor that comes from catalog engineering. No alert to tell people, many times even the dealer, that this might come up and what to look for or even how to solve the problem when it does happen. Just a note on the part number in the computer and a new price. We are lucky for the people on here that have access to information not generally available to the masses.