Looking for some help. I have a 04 315cl serial number CJC02524 9600 hours im When i start the machine cold there is a small amount of smoke that lingers not very noticeable at idle 1-4 throttle settings. When you idle it up she really starts smoking/sputtering and an bit of a surge. it clears up once it gets up in throttle 8-10 now smoke and it runs great. once the machine warms up things seem to really get better except the middle of the power band. The weird part is if i put just a little bit of a load on it it will run great all through the rpm range. It only does it with no load on it. I have replaced both fuel filters, the lift pump, all six injector nozzles from cat. I also ran it out of a container right off the injection pump to eliminate all the hoses and filters. only thing i have not touched is the injection pump itself. I put a boost pressure gauge on it and NO LOAD 1/2 psi at idle 1 1/2 psi at wot. UNDER LOAD i get 10psi max wot full load. Am i missing something?
Codes?
nothing active logged error 69: 96-03 69: 1931-06 69: 110-10 69: 167-08 69: 168-05 logged event 69: 100 69:179 69: 15
O boy!
Thoughts?
Tool control. Does your engine seems to be struggling?
Wait for Nige. I’ll need more time
No. It does not seen down on power at all. as soon as i give it any type of load it is just fine all threw the power band. Its just a no load problem were it smokes and sputters and surges
Symptoms of timing problems. But the question what causing it. Bad engine speed sensor, coolant temperature sensor, load calculation etc.
Unless you have flapper in the air duct ( highly unlikely) or injector going berserk
hmmm. Ive pulled the intake tube off and ran it. no change. Brand new cat nozzles. very puzzling?
Very quick what is your fuel injection system on that 04? I’m not a Cat tech
pretty sure it all mostly mechanical injection. With electronic controlled throttle?
Like Japanese version of Bosch P7100 pump? That thing should be PerkaBishi. It should even have distinctive “Mitsubishi” oil filler cap.
What color is the smoke?
96-03 - fuel level sensor, voltage above normal 1931-06 - AUX circuit flow combining solenoid, current above normal 110-10 - coolant temp sensor - abnormal change rate 167-08 - alternator charging voltage sensor - abnormal fre 168-05 - electrical system voltage - current below normal E100 - Low engine oil pressure warning E179 - Alternator not charging E15 - High engine coolant temperature derate Not saying that may be affecting your problem but have you had charging system problems recently.? It would be interesting to hook up ET, erase all the Codes/Events and run the machine for a while and see what (if anything) comes back.
You can talk to Pumpguysc, whether it is possible that centrifugal timing advance is sticking. In the “old wife tails - snake oil” fashion, you can try to add Hotshots Secret “Stiction Eliminator” and see if it will help. At least it should clean the carbon in your piston rings.
Does that thing have any type of timing advance solenoid, controlled by ECM?
What is MID 69, and why it is missing from RENS0126?
Does your engine has Bosch VE or P7100 injection pump? Because I see it can have both.
ANF prefix even shows Bosch VP. Looks like 37
I have no idea. I just ignored it and worked off the CID/FMI numbers. I would like to see a photo of the Monitor Panel showing at least one of the Codes/Events.
My “free” source shows me CJC prefix, but when I click on Fuel System, it dumps me to IKE. CJC begins last prefix of C generation - I would guess it’s VP pump.
That’s what I did, but because MID was goofy - I didn’t want to make fool of myself
If it’s VP pump - it might be a bad news. If your lift pump was weak - you could have overheated the computer in its head.
Got to go do “doctoring” on TL1055, on Saturday! Damn it!
An inline pump according to the Parts Manual.. I don't see no electronics.
Yeah! Zexel, or something like that.
I would talk to Pumpguysc about your issue
How about simple thing as air intrusion? What color is that smoke?
yes the alternator went out on it. was repaced.
Im not all that sure i have not pulled the numbers off it yet. Its not very easy to see it back behind the engine
I would say mostly whitish. It really smells like fuel
Hmmmm!
No coolant loss?
Nope nothing that I’ve noticed
Just want to post a update on this. I had a cat mechanic come out and he advanced the injection pump line 1 or 2 degrees and it fixed all the problems. No more smoke at all. Hope this helps someone.