I have a 2006 Cat 315CLC, That I bought a couple of years ago it had 1800hrs on it and now has around 3400hrs. Its my first Cat excavator , Had two Deere before. I find that the final drive seem weak. They seem really slow anytime you have a restriction, Like a hill or soft ground. Is there something wrong or is this normal for the 315? It was like this when I bought it. What do you guys think?
This will be tough to answer. I think that any operator will notice resistance when tracking through soft ground or up a slope regardless of brand. I have a 315CL (2003) and I sometimes find that I would like to have more drawbar pull. I can't remember the last time I thought that but I don't think it's any different than any other trackhoe I have used. I would think that the relief settings would be the first thing to check if you are down on power.
You need to stall the tracks in both directions and see what the pressures are. A low pressure on one side in one direction could be a cross over relief or a leaking swivel.
Testing the relief settings on an excavator, especially one with 3400 hrs, is the most problematic relief test on the machine because the center swivel is in the circuit, and if it's the problem, relief test will be misleading. Likewise, there is no "easy" way to test the center swivel. If the weak drive causes symptoms that affect both drives, both stall easily, machine is hard to turn in any direction, results are the same in both forward and reverse, I would be tempted to yank the swivel and go through it. Even if it weren't the problem, at least you would have that component in good order and the parts won't empty your wallet. LoL, Lee posted while I was yet typing. :tong
If all other functions are working OK ie bucket crowd,dipper arm etc then the problem is most likley to be worn seals in the swivel joint which allows the oil to bypass hence the loss of power/speed.It's not a big fix,about 4hrs.
I have had 2 machines with tracking power problems in the last week. First was a 330c, Stalled tracks and right forward was 1000psi low. I just swapped the right side cross over reliefs. The low pressure now went to reverse. Installed a new crossover relief and problem fixed. Yesterday i had a 315L. Low power, Checked the pressures and found right forward was also low so swapped the reliefs again. Made no difference. Capped the forward hose at the motor. Made no difference. Capped the hose at the top of the swivel and the pressure was good. Problem lies in the swivel. I just need to take it out and reseal it.
Both sides seem to have the same amount of power, whether going forward or backwards.
If its anything like the 315C i had at work it will be totally normal.....the motors are gutless...mind you i personally think the whole machines are gutless.....but thats just my two pence!
I also find the rest of the machine a little gutless, I guess I just notice it more in the drive motors. Do you guys think I should have Cat check it out? I hate to spend the money if there is nothing wrong.
It probably wouldn't hurt to have it diag'd ..... at least if they check out the system you'll know the general condition of all hyd's ..... if Cat does it they have to stand behind the diag ...... once that is done you won't be chasing the dogs tail doing a bunch of maybe re/re's ...... you might even decide to get them to fix it on the spot after he gives you a time quote to repair ???