Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

317 jd

Bully ยท 2009-04-03 10:54

I'm sure a few of us have run these, but yesterday nite was my first time. Mixed feelings for certain. I was impressed with the interior and controls, as they haven't done anything but improved since I ran a 7775. Nice view out of the rear window, i had to back it out of the shop in some pretty tight spots. No sweat. Real nice and responsive drive controls, hand and foot, which I believe is much better for working in muddy/loose terrain which about all you get in a slag yard. If it ain't sloppy and slick its dusty and loose. On the downside, I was shocked when after I scooped a bucket of slag fines, raised the bucket to travel height,( no more than 12") the thing NOSED OVER!!! I was kind of suprised, as the bucketfull I got wasn't too full, and roughly level. Kind of a bummer, as i am a JD fan and loved that 7775. I know the 2 machines aren't the same size, but still should have decent counterweight to bucket ratio, as I only went up with it about 1'. The material is heavier, but wet clay is in the same ballpark. Anyone care to expand on this or give me a little insight?

Replies4
  1. #1Bobcat s3302009-04-03 11:56

    Very strange i owned a 7775 about 9 years ago and it had power to it. I wonder why the 317 did that very strange.. The only thing good about the deere skids is the visibility to the rear other then that the side visibility is terrible because of the loader arms being in the way and the front visibility i always had a hard time seing the corners of my buckets..

  2. #2MXZ2009-04-03 21:30

    What size bucket were you running? Standard for a 317 would be a 66". I know a lot of guys will run a larger one on them as they can handle it easily for most material. If your stuff is really dense, could be a factor. Easy fix is adding the counterweight kit. Gives you another 350# of ROC.

  3. #3Bully2009-04-04 00:04

    ya its from United Rentals. No counterweights. Getting some may be like pulling teeth with the way things run here. Logistics isn't a strong suit.

  4. #4Cretebaby2009-04-04 00:08

    I have a 250/320 and counetweights are a must Even then you can pick way more than it will balance Overall I love my Deeres