I have a 318d with a crank and no start. I compression tested unit and came back sub par. Pulled engine sent head out for valve job and resurface. Send injectors out to get tested they are good. Sent short block out to get timed correctly from JD. I pulled the pistons and got glaze off cylinders and installed new rings the old ones were all seized up. Got engine back together and now installed back in unit and seems to only be popping off one injection pump, it has 4 injection pumps. I ohmed the coils on pumps they are 4.5-4.6 manual says under 8. Back probed wiring to connection on outside of block with same reading. Are the pump needles seized as well? I have good fuel pressure installed new pump and hard bleeder on fuel filter. Is there a place that rebuilds the pump? Let me know your thoughts.
Welcome to HEF Trent ! Please provide a machine serial number. You sure you have it thoroughly bled. First start up is always difficult with those engines. Did you replace the fuel return check valve? Are there any codes, active or stored, in the monitor?
1T0318DAVCG219566 I installed a new fuel tilter headwr and checked t fitting on the head they are all in good working order. I installed some biocleen and atf in the fuel tank and hooked up an electric pump and let that cycle the fuel for 15 ish min. Maybe the needles in the pump are stuck? I have 2 pumps squirting fuel and 2 dry.
Are you checking for flow out of the pumps with the injectors removed? Which 2 pumps? Codes?
I unhooked the nuts for the metal fuel lines at the pumps. Had flow out of 1&3 cylinder. And dry pumps on 2&4.
That eliminates supply side electrical. 1 and 4 are on the same power circuit and 2 and 3 are on another. All the grounds are controlled individually, so they could be suspect (though I doubt they both failed at the same time). If there is an electrical issue with the injection circuit, there would definitely be codes (you haven't posted if there were any). "D" series machines are notorious for hard start complaints with reasons that fall all over the map. I would say in most cases it is a fuel supply issue (or return check), or injection pumps/injectors. Some other fairly common issues have been cranking speed and cam sensor issues.
I have no active codes on the unit. I went into service mode and checked. Checked all the sensors and everything is readying. I did back probe the harness and verified I didn't have a wiring issues all the way to ecm. Would I still get flow to 2 of the pumps if I have a cam and crank error? I know that information is sent to ecm and takes that data and sends to injection pump to fire. I would of thought I'd have all working or none working.
Try shooting WD40 into the intake as is being cranked over. After 5 seconds or more of WD40 if it hasn't fired up, not sure if it has a ribbon heater, cause if it doesn't could give it a small squirt of Ether. Told a different member about it and he said his unit fired right up but died because still had no fuel. Simon C
It would run in small amounts of misting ether. That's why I pulled valve cover and removed nuts to hard lines on the injection pump and saw which ones were fueling
Oil at least does not leave cylinders dry and low compression. Cylinders love excess oil for starting, but without fuel it won't run. Hope it gets going. Simon C
Cam sensor will affect all or none, not some. I was just stating most common causes of no start. In your case, it sounds like you will need at least 2 pumps. And no, I do not know of any outfit that rebuilds them. I am not saying there are not any rebuilders that can handle them, I am just not aware of any. Maybe @thepumpguysc could answer that question? To the OP, if any pumps are replaced they will need to be calibrated. For @thepumpguysc , below is a picture of the unit pump used on this machine.