Hi Everyone. I am trying to ship a 320 L excavator. I wish to find out if it is possible to dismantle an excavator and load it into a container, and how best to go about it since the quotes I am getting for its shipment without being dismantled are quite expensive for me currently. Thank you for your responses.
It will probably require a lot more work than you think. The opening on a seacan is only about 7'4" wide and the width of the machine with tracks is probably 10 or 11 feet. Even if you pulled the tracks unless the upperstructure is narrower than the sea can doors you'll probably have to start stripping off parts and then cut the frame apart.
I do think so too as regards the workload. We were hoping to pull the tracks off like you mentioned, and then possibly dismantle the cabin of the excavator from the turn table, then possibly load them up slanted to an angle into the container to fit in. Just that I needed more clarifications, in case someone has gone this route before, to enable us to make an informed decision.
I would think it would be very difficult fitting all the components into a seacan and getting them back out without any damage.
Truly we envisage some damages, hopefully minor dents, without the mechanicals being affected. I am just wondering if someone has shipped and Excavator previously in a 40 ft container.
I kind of doubt one the size you're talking. Major major disassembly and reassembly required. If you had to hire help to take it apart and put back together I don't think you'd save any money.
From the estimate so far disassembly and reassembly appears cheaper, if it's able to be fit into a 40 ft container being my current challenge. I am being told is possible going by the estimated measurements made by those to do the disassembly, just that I have this doubt on the possibility. That is why I decided to reach out on a public forum like this to ascertain if someone has gone the route of loading a 20 ton Excavator into a container before. I wouldn't want to commit funds and start, then along the line get stuck.
Not likely someone on here has done it but maybe. Just the carbody seems pretty big to get in a seacan.
Video showing it done not a 10 min job better have the right guys on both ends but defiantly doable
I have helped put many machines in containers but not an excavator that big . We did put a 16h in a can and that was not fun . No really it was not fun at all .
Excellent video. That's some major disassembly required and reassembly. I imagine pulling all the components back out of the shipping container requires some real out of the box thinking. If you're considering doing it, do you have a good group of mechanics to help you? I guess you need at least 3 but 4 or more would be better.
Thank you for this video, showing the possibility. I am eventually outsourcing the disassembly to a shipping company who have done similar jobs for a company that referred me to them.
Indeed, reassembly is a thing as well. We are currently in touch with a group of mechanics in the destination country who have done similar jobs for offloading and reassembly.