PAB 00730. Not sure how the fan operates. The serpentine belt started smoking. Stopped the engine. Started it back up and the fan isn’t moving belt is sliding around it. I tried with a bar and the fan won’t turn. Is this a hydraulic fan. Looking for advice thanks. 321-228-6684
Well I see now the bearings have gone out in the water pump
I found a Service Magazine article regarding an improvement of the bearing from machine PAB07840-Up, so your machine falls into the "earlier" group. The text of the article is "The existing bearing on the fan drive pulley group can seize on certain excavators. If the bearing fails, the machine may overheat. The failure may be a result of dirt and water contaminating the grease of the bearing." I reckon you need to think about replacing the 212-8757 Pulley Assembly while you are doing the water pump.
I spoke with cat parts earlier they didn’t have any of it. I’ll call back Monday morning and make sure I get everything. It sounded as though it was all included. Thanks for the reply.
That’s the bearing I was talking about behind the big pulley. Not actually the water pump. It’s not leaking. It’s the bearing that has come apart. I want the complete assy so I don’t have to go back into it.
This may help you in obtaining parts. The article is almost 10 years old so any of the Part Numbers mentioned in it could have been updated again since then. Machines where the update is applicable are PAB00001-03028, so that includes your machine. Forget what I said above, I was looking at an article about something else.
Ok thanks Nige
Well i wasn't wrong ......... there is newer information. See below. From PAB07840-Up the Part Numbers in the information I posted above were improved again ...... so you could carry out 2 upgrades in one hit. I can't see any evideince that PAB00730 is equipped with a High Ambient Temperature cooling package so 324-4104 should be the correct group. Otherwise it would require a 324-4105.
Ok thanks again. I’m in the process of removing it as we speak.