Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3208 governor question

jd2210 ยท 2016-04-23 12:20

So this is probably more of an engine question than a excavator one. I have a 87 229 Cat. I recently installed a 3208 that was taken out of a highway truck. Everything is good except the throttle control(revs up until I load the hydraulics and then drags down and almost dies. When we stop using the hydraulics it revs back up again.) I assume it is some sort of setup issue in the fuel pump. Would a highway setup have a different governor setup? Can I adjust it somehow? I see what looks like a governor control on top of the injection pump. any help is greatly appreciated.

Replies11
  1. #1lantraxco2016-04-23 12:31

    I'm not familiar with the 3208 specifics but generally yes, highway governors are only limiting governors, they're controlled mostly by the throttle position but will prevent engine overspeed. Equipment governors are generally constant speed governors, they cut back at the speed you have set but when loaded will push more fuel to try to handle the load and maintain the same rpm. YMMV Post up an engine serial and arrangement if you have it, one of the CAT gurus should be able to tell you exactly what governor/pump you have.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2016-04-23 19:41

    A 3208 pump is a 3208pump.. not saying there aren't different fuel settings and governor springs and bigger pumping plungers, BUT.. with that being said.. more than likely the problem is with sticking pumping plungers.. you could.. clean off the top of the pump.. remove the 10 or so 7/16 bolts that surround the cover.. Under the cover, you'll see the pump is full of fuel.. scoop some out and get to the cross link.. The link "synks" the left bank to the right bank.. move it up and down.. it should move very freely.. If that doesn't work.. the problem may be in the governor flyweights or even the return circuit..

  3. #3Delmer2016-04-23 22:36

    I hate to take sides on this one, but I agree with lantraxco, post the numbers off your new and old engine and lets get some more opinions. Not saying thepumpguy is wrong, but did the engine work properly in the truck? then the wrong type of governor is the first thing that would come to my mind also.

  4. #4jd22102016-04-28 09:11

    We don't have the numbers for either one I'm afraid. I'll maybe do what thepumpguysc says and go from there. I can't swap the pumps apparently according to CAT so I think I'm going to have to make do with what I have. I'm thinking we may have made a huge mistake in putting this engine in here.

  5. #5jd22102016-04-28 12:10

    So I started digging into thepumpguysc's idea and have come to the realization that these 2 pumps are absolutely nothing alike. The "commercial" engine that we took out has a v8 style pump setup with the plate as described but the "truck" engine has an inline 8 pump. I can't get the number off of the pump, but I was able to find what might be the number off of the engine 9L7430. Cat thinks I might have a 1145 pump which he said did make its way onto quite a few 3208s over the years. Does that make any sense to anyone? They said that I could change the entire pump but I'd need to yank the engine, and change all of the front gears. Does this shed any light for anyone? Sorry I keep giving only pieces of the info at a time.

  6. #6etd66ss2016-04-28 12:24

    You should probably post your question over on the ACMOC forums: http://www.acmoc.org/bb/ You definitely can't just throw a truck engine into an excavator. There are a bunch of guys on those forums that should be able to help you.

  7. #7kshansen2016-04-28 12:25

    No chance of getting the S/N off the truck engine this pump came off? I've been doing some looking on SIS and there are several different spring combinations used in the pumps. Do you still have your original pump?

  8. #8Cmark2016-04-28 16:23

    9L7430 is the part number for the rocker cover.

  9. #9Blk prince2016-04-28 23:30

    jd2210, I put this to my brother in law. Recently retired from JDTractor after 35years as mechanic. Could not give answer right off. He did say that a truck engine has very different oil pan than an excavator so be sure you have deep oil pan for steep inclines. Could be costly

  10. #10jd22102016-07-08 11:01

    So I'm reviving this from the dead because I have some new and important information. It turns out this is not at all a 3208. Forget I ever said 3208. Turns out to be an actual 1145. So with that new and extremely important info I'm wondering the following: Does anyone know where I can get a variable speed governor spring for it? Or- if that is impossible I'd like to get a governor housing for it. The housing number is 9L7727 that is on it. Though various google searches I uncovered part number 9L7800. I wonder if that is the one that I need. Any help is appreciated.

  11. #11Mobiltech2016-07-08 15:01

    Have you checked the under speed valve yet. It should cut the pumps back as the engine drops rpm. What is the horsepower rating of the engine you put in?