Cat 320Cl ser PAB00933, throttle control and key shut off completely out. Cables to pump are both loose but not broken. Starts right up and runs at high throttle. I clamped off fuel lines to kill it. Don’t see any fuses labeled for throttle control. Would greatly appreciate any help.
I'll send you a copy of the electrical schematic. that would help you start tracing fuses, etc.
Thanks Nige. The electrical schematic file appears on my phone, but i'm unable to open it there. So now I'm on my desktop and that file/response is not included here. Don't understand that
Ok Nige, I've got it open now. Thanks so much
As others have found the pdf file is reluctant to open on a phone, however smart it claims to be.
They should rename them "out smart phones" for anybody over 40 years old. Funny they don't offer 6 month's training courses on all the things they can and can't do. See people doing things with their phones all the time and had no idea it could be done with a phone. I guess for $1000+ they should do a lot.
Personally I think it's stretching the bounds of belief more than a little to try to open a schematic on a smart phone screen that when it's printed on paper covers 48" x 36" or thereabouts..............
The phone sucks for doing anything on the internet. Loved having the phone when I was in the hospital though. At least I could kind of stay in touch with what was going on in the (heavy equipment) world. It gave me something to do that took my mind off my back pain and other problems I was having. After having the phone and being stuck in a bed for about a month, I can't imagine being in that position without a phone. On more than one occasion I made a Dr. have to wait while I finished a text. LoL It requires a lot of concentration to type with fat fingers and a tiny keyboard! It doesn't help when your vision gets a little fuzzy looking at the small screen either.
I use a "smart phone" exclusively for everything, including PDFs and posting links on here. Sure, sometimes bigger would be nice, but... Back to the issue at hand, I can't find the two cable throttle controller testing for the OP. Pretty sure there are testing and rebuild instructions out there, somewhere.
Yes, I appreciate the schematic but cannot find the throttle controller. Am contemplating installing a vernier throttle cable to eliminate the issue but was hoping to at least eliminate a possible blown fuse. Seems doubtful that it could be a blown fuse because it would seem the system would revert to idle or off instead of full power as I am experiencing. Again, any insight much appreciated
U have a problem with the governor control
Check to see if the throttle is pulling back to low idle & not stuck at full.. If it’s pulling back to low idle and still running wide open, the control rack in the pump is stuck.. U can remove the side cover off the pump, 2-10mm bolts.. Next, remove the cap off the front of the pump.. THAT will give u direct access to the main control rack in the pump.. To slow it down, tap the rack IN SLOWLY.. Once u get it to a manageable rpm, drive it to the shop and pull the pump.. IT MUST B TIMED BEFORE YOU TAKE IT OFF.!! Good luck
So, I grabbed hold of the cable control alarm on the injector pump and manipulated it back-and-forth and it seems to have freed up the electronica throttle control, wherever it is located? Started working fine Got a one day job done and next time I turned the machine on, had to repeat the process, but no big deal. It seems I will have to remove some plates under the machine to look for the throttle control, which perhaps has some corrosion issues