Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

320CL wedge coupler to pin grabber conversion

gcsupraman · 2025-01-14 12:43

Hi, I’m looking for possible guidance on converting my current hydraulic wedge coupler setup to a pin grabber setup. While the wedge coupler has been functional, the limited availability of attachments has become a significant drawback—it feels like the plasma TV of couplers at this point! Here are the details of my current setup: Stick Width: ~12 inches Pin Spacing on current Wedge Coupler: ~19.5 inches I’ve noticed that many pin grabber couplers for a 320C list pin spacing of around 17.5 inches, while others fall within a range of ~17.5 to 19.5 inches for 80mm pins. This has raised a couple of questions: Would a smaller pin spacing, such as 17.5 inches, potentially reduce the breakout force of the bucket? Are there advantages or disadvantages to choosing one pin spacing over another for my machine? Are there any decent aftermarket options? I am also uncertain about the compatibility of my current OEM progressive thumb. It measures 24-1/2 inches wide (inside ear-to-ear at the pin), whereas a pin grabber coupler would be much narrower. Would using spacers to fill the gap between the thumb and the narrower coupler be a viable solution? -Greg

Replies6
  1. #1Shimmy12025-01-18 17:38

    I think you will be just fine. Just a thought, if you have heavy enough spacers, weld them to the thumb to form a pin boss. I have a main pin thumb on my Kommie 290 and it requires a 1.25" spacer on each side of the coupler. You are going to want to fabricate a pin holder to keep the pin from rotating in the coupler, or bore the pin holes and install bushings and grease fittings. What are your plans for your buckets? Buy all new, or rework your current ones to accept pins?

  2. #2gcsupraman2025-01-18 21:42

    Welding the spacers is an excellent idea! I started to consider the possibility that I would have to purchase a new narrower thumb. It appears that the couplers I’ve seen have the pin holder built in, however I doubt my pin has the hole in the necessary location. With regards to a bucket I was considering buying a new Teran bucket. I’d love to do OEM but the coupler and bucket are $25k

  3. #3Joe H2025-01-19 02:32

    These guys can do you one cheaper ----> https://www.facebook.com/watch?ref=search&v=239096695563526&external_log_id=f799bd43-f953-4105-870b-165b88a5ea39&q=excavator bucket cruise ship Joe H

  4. #4Tags2025-01-19 15:31

    Just a heads up. If you buy a Terran bucket you should plan on plating it with wear plating right away, they’re cheap for a reason. You will destroy it if you don’t protect it, even with the plating keep an eye on it for cracking. I only say this because we have a couple of them where I work, we plated one and not the other….

  5. #5gcsupraman2025-01-19 19:03

    I really appreciate you letting me know. I searched this forum for feedback on Teran buckets and there was very little information. It looks like I need to reach out to a fabricator to see if my current bucket could be converted. It looks like werk-brau might be able to supply plates. https://werk-brau.com/parts/ Are there any good quality aftermarket couplers out there besides OEM?

  6. #6Shimmy12025-01-19 20:02

    I put a brand new Geith on my 290, virtually the same coupler you would use. I had Komatsu put it on, it was $7k with the install kit, Pardon Our Interruption