Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

321DLCR quick coupler install

CM1995 ยท 2021-02-06 14:23

Our 321DLCR serial # MPG 271 didn't come with the factory hydraulic lines for a quick coupler. I am ignorant of hydraulic systems so how hard would it be too plumb the lines? The line from the hydraulic source to the stick is a no-brainer but what about the other parts? We are getting a Cat field trial of their new "oil quick" style quick coupler for our 325FL and I want to put the regular QC that's currently on the 325FL on the 321DL. Thanks in advance.

Replies15
  1. #1heymccall2021-02-06 16:00

    https://oilquickusa.com/

  2. #2CM19952021-02-06 18:21

    Yeah we are getting the prototype Cat version as a field trial for our 325FL. I want to take the reg QC off the 325 and put it on the 321 that has no lines. Who knows it might be that one painted yellow. Cat picked us because we swap from bucket to hammer on a pretty regular basis. Most contractors have a dedicated hammer machine but we don't have that luxury at this time. Cat looked up our 325 on telematics I guess and could tell how many times we swapped..

  3. #3AzIron2021-02-06 18:33

    I have looked at those oil quick couplers they are expensive and I couldn't see an advantage to them over something like a stuchi fitting except you can change attachments In 45 seconds instead of minutes The biggest negative is you wont get an operator to stop and clean the fittings before the put they switch attachments

  4. #4CM19952021-02-06 18:45

    Well this one is free so .. This hoe operator will, he's the best we got and extremely anal about maintenance. This is our best crew, they take excellent care of their equipment and are the most productive to boot so they get all the new equipment.

  5. #5AzIron2021-02-06 19:06

    Who is paying for the top plate adapters for your attachments and then you wouldn't be able to put the hammer on your 321 very easily just an observation

  6. #6CM19952021-02-06 19:30

    Cat is paying for the entire install including any adapter plates. The 321 doesn't have aux. hydraulics and I don't want to invest what it would cost to add aux. hydros on an '11 with 7.5K hours on it. However if it's not too expensive to add coupler lines to the 321 it would be nice to be able to go from a 42-48" bucket to 30" bucket for utility work. The next 1-2 year plan is to buy a new 325 or 335, pass the 325 down to the #2 crew and let the 321 become a back up machine. If the Cat oil quick works out we'll see if we buy one. Cat will let us use the oil QC for a year then either give it to us or we'll have an option to buy it at a discount. We'll see how it works out - we've got nothing to loose.

  7. #7AzIron2021-02-06 19:44

    Well that's a good deal as far as your original question goes I think cat excavators have the coupler valve plumbed in factory it's just putting in the switch and running lines up the boom on my 314 they are steel lines on the boom and dipper with hoses at the flex points the hardest part would be welding on brackets to mount to but can would sell that sa a kit I believe If a guy was cheap you could do the hole thing in hose you would only need 10 2 wire hose even 8 size hose would work

  8. #8heymccall2021-02-06 20:33

    The valve for cat quick couplers are standalone, and not in a machine unless the coupler lines are on the boom and stick. Valve plumbing is stupid easy. 4 ports. Supply...from Tee on bucket cylinder extend circuit Return...to tank A...to coupler B...to coupler

  9. #9CM19952021-02-06 20:40

    Heymccall do you have a schematic? What does it involve to install the electric over hydro switch in the cab for the QC?

  10. #10heymccall2021-02-06 21:26

    I wouldn't doubt that the machine has the wire(s) in it. You will need a schematic. But, you're dealer should be able to get you an install kit price, and, more importantly, the install kit instruction. As for the boom and stick plumbing, yes, it can be done in rubber hose, the whole way. 3/8" hose is sufficient. Even 1/4" hose is usable, but, coupler action may be slower in cold weather.

  11. #11heymccall2021-02-06 21:45

    We had a field follow 324D (badged as a 322C) for a year, then bought it. Only machine I ever had to put a turntable bearing in. Then, we had a field follow Center Lock coupler on another 324D. Bought it after a year, and destroyed the cylinder two months later. I'm pretty sure we'd destroy that thing too.

  12. #12heymccall2021-02-06 23:29

    I picked a KBZ early serial number, since you didn't share one.

  13. #13CM19952021-02-07 11:22

    Thank you heymccall. BTW I did share serial number in the first post - MPG 271. Ya'll have trained us well.

  14. #14heymccall2021-02-07 11:36

    Sorry, didn't see that. That machine is so old that the coupler pressure feed, had it been equipped as such, came from the main pump, as opposed to coming from the bucket extend circuit.

  15. #15CM19952021-02-07 14:38

    This 321DLCR is a 2011. Build date was 7/19/2011 On SIS I can find theQC line kit part # 343-8342 for $1600 before tax. That gets from the QC to the back of the boom.