Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

329EL Long Reach Boom Cylinder Head Pressure

Oxbow · 2024-02-28 11:44

Vin# PLW01511 Voltage above normal: Is this typically a sensor failure? What would be the correct way to diagnose, or would one start with replacing the sensor. I assume (and you know what happens when one assumes) that higher than normal voltage is not too likely to be a wiring problem? Thanks

Replies31
  1. #1Nige2024-02-28 12:03

    Not necessarily. Could just as easily be a wiring/connector fault. Use the attached troubleshooting procedure. If you want a complete electrical schematic please ask. But then again you have access, just download your own copy.

  2. #2ahart2024-02-28 12:50

    Many times when I see that code, it winds up being a wire that’s pulled out of the connector due to the wire breaking right at the deutsch socket.

  3. #3Oxbow2024-02-28 13:39

    Thank you Nige. Do you know if these troubleshooting procedures are available through the customer version of SIS? I am still pretty clumsy navigating SIS. Thanks Ahart. The machine is about 2 hours away at the moment so I'll have to wait to check this out until we get over there.

  4. #4Nige2024-02-28 13:49

    Start from the SIS main page, put your Serial Number in the LH box and 1969 in the RH box then click search. After it shows you a million hits click the Troubleshooting option in the column on the left side of the page. That should narrow it down so you can find the procedure I attached above.

  5. #5Oxbow2024-02-28 13:50

    Well I may not know how to find it on SIS, but I tried out the SIS2GO app on my phone for the first time and went straight to the same document the Nige shared. I feel a little dumb for bothering you guys now, but thanks!

  6. #6Oxbow2024-02-28 13:50

    Perfect! Thank you sir!

  7. #7Oxbow2024-02-28 13:58

    This is what I get. Perhaps my version (customer version) is not the same?

  8. #8Nige2024-02-28 15:30

    I guess not. Sorry about that.

  9. #9Oxbow2024-02-28 17:02

    Thanks Nige!

  10. #10CM19952024-02-28 18:27

    Same SIS for me. As far as I know it's limited to parts and limited schematics.

  11. #11Nige2024-02-28 18:44

    Starting to make sense now.........

  12. #12Oxbow2024-02-28 19:48

    CM, I subscribed on the SIS2GO phone app for two machines, and it appears that I can get the troubleshooting guides that way, it would just be way easier to view them on the "big" screen and be able to print them out. I might be able to export out of the phone app but haven't tried yet. The subscription price is per vin#, but it is reasonable @ about $150 per year, but it's dang frustrating to have paid millions to Cat over the years and not be granted full access to their support features. Nige is trying to help me to make sure I am navigating SIS correctly but I believe we just have customer level access. I will say this though, I really like being able to go through SIS and order parts and have them waiting when we go to the dealer, or have them shipped here if we desire. Most of the parts folks at our dealership are pretty good, but I really like being able to see the breakdowns on SIS myself, especially when it comes to working on our old B model engines.

  13. #13CM19952024-02-28 20:11

    Oxbow funny you should mention SIS2GO as I just downloaded it to my phone today. Just last week they worked our Vision Link account out so we could see all our equip. that's responding. So what does the $150 a year per machine open up? The SIS we have available is very helpful none the less. Today I was able to track down and order a front window seal and lower door roller for our 321DL and order it online. I'll have to admit I have cussed SIS more than I have ever praised it but Cat has improved it over the last couple of months.

  14. #14Oxbow2024-02-28 21:16

    I'm still learning what is available, but here are some examples: This screen lists all of our equipment. If you look to the right and see the little green credit card looking icon, that indicates that we have a subscription for that piece of equipment. So if I select the 329 for example, here is what I get: Then if I type in the fault code that we have (1969-3): Now if I open that up I get to the document that Nige shared initially: This should save us a bunch on our older equipment that is off warranty by being able to at least do some preliminary trouble shooting prior to having a field mechanic come out. And since we always seem to be working out in the middle of nowhere that can add up quickly.

  15. #15CM19952024-02-29 08:47

    Nice. That info is worth $150 a year. I'd like to have a subscription our D5G, 953C and 321DL.

  16. #16Oxbow2024-03-02 10:19

    The boys were over where our long reach is and did some checking on that code. Sure enough it is a wiring problem. Time to buy a Deutsh connector kit I guess.

  17. #17Oxbow2024-03-02 10:20

    Thank you Nige and Ahart for the help!

  18. #18CM19952024-03-02 10:31

    Glad they found it. Bought a connector kit from the Cat house a few years ago and although it was expensive it has saved the day a few times.

  19. #1992U 34062024-03-02 10:39

    That $150/year subscription paid for itself for the next 2 or 3 years.

  20. #20Oxbow2024-03-02 10:57

    Like Cat o-ring kits, expensive until it saves a three hour round trip and downtime going to get a $5.00 o-ring. I was wondering about that; it probably pays to get a kit from Cat rather than a generic kit because only connectors used on Cat machines are included? I'll do some shopping.

  21. #21skyking12024-03-02 11:05

    I am daft, I just realized it is the same model I used in 2014 to to demo work on the bridge job. Not long reach of course

  22. #2292U 34062024-03-02 11:16

    A lot of those connectors aren't specific to CAT. We get all our Deutsche kits from a supply store. Probably a lot cheaper too.

  23. #23Nige2024-03-02 11:43

    Can I just point out that I'm not sure that's a Deutsch connector......... I think it's an AmpSeal but I could be wrong. See HERE

  24. #24Zewnten2024-03-02 12:32

    Second amp seal

  25. #25ahart2024-03-02 12:33

    Definitely an Amp connector, I wouldn’t buy the amp kit as about every sensor uses a different “key” code and many aren’t in the kit. I’d buy the deutsch kit and buy amp connectors as needed. Deutsch and amp use same pins/sockets.

  26. #26Oxbow2024-03-02 14:54

    Thanks guys! I spent about an hour or so on the web trying to find the same Deutsch connector, with no luck. I can probably reuse the connecter if I just get new pins. I may just get a kit that has the pins and sockets and tools for now.

  27. #2792U 34062024-03-02 15:12

    You might find that you can get away with cleaning the corrosion out of the connector and sensor and just solder splicing the damaged wiring together if you have enough slack in the harness. Little bit of dielectric grease around the connector to help keep the moisture out and good to go.

  28. #28Nige2024-03-02 15:35

    Be prepared for the shock that a genuine Deutsch HDT-48 pin/socket crimping tool will run you North of $300, and no that’s not buying it under the Cat Part Number either…… Here’s a link to one on eBay In my experience the genuine Deutsch crimp tool is the only one that works worth a damn.

  29. #2992U 34062024-03-02 15:42

    Deutsch Terminals Service Kit | Tool Aid A complete six piece kit to crimp and release the Deutsch terminals found throughout the industry on trucks, construction equipment, motorcycles, race cars, agricultural and marine equipment, heavy duty vehicles and other vehicles and equipment subject to excessive vibration and wherever an... toolaid.com I've had good luck with this kit the last decade or so. Haven't had a crimp come apart yet that I'm aware of. I probably only use it a handful of times a year so I couldn't justify the cost of a genuine Deutsche tool.

  30. #30ahart2024-03-02 15:46

    I abandoned the cat one 12 years ago and have used this one ever since. Crimped thousands of deutsch ends with it and never even a glitch.

  31. #31Zewnten2024-03-02 18:21

    Also had good luck with S&G but I don’t do a ton of crimps either.